School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Buy, Sell or Browse
 Enter Forum: Buy, Sell or Browse
 i want to buy an old school bus, need your help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jimmy-pop-ali

2 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  5:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Send jimmy-pop-ali an AOL message  Send jimmy-pop-ali a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi there,

my name is sascha and i'm living in l.a.
i want to do a cross country tour and travel through the u.s. with an old school bus.
i want to take out the seats and put in some mattresses, a kitchen and stuff ...

therefore i wanted to ask you, how much it would cost to buy a 10 year old 30 feet used school bus.
it would be great, if you could also give me some information about the miles per gallon and other stuff,
e.g. can i drive to bus with my class c drivers license, or do i need to get another license, is it better to get a bus that
runs with gas or diesel?

i really hope you can help me!

thank you very much!

i'm looking forward hearing from you!

sascha

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2003 :  6:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The prices really vary..I've heard of retired buses from my ditrict being auctioned for $50,and sometimes up to $1100. I would think a decent price would be around $650-700. I don't really know about the MPG. I think you want to go with a diesel,since they seem to be more reliable,and diesel is a little cheaper.
Silas J.

http://www.geocities.com/schoolbusarchives

Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  01:16:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I bought my 1977 Gillig Tandem-Axle school bus in 1998 at a cost of just $475, and it's 10 feet longer than your desired 30 footer.

Look around! You'll never know what you'll find!

http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches/ http://www.teamtwintowers.org/
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  05:40:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I bought my 1977 Gillig Tandem-Axle school bus in 1998 at a cost of just $475, and it's 10 feet longer than your desired 30 footer.

But your motor seized up, Steve!

Sascha,

Since you're in the Los Angeles area, I would recommend you avoid purchasing a school bus from any dealer in the area; especially A-Z Bus Sales in Colton. The prices at the dealers in Southern California tend to be on the high side.

Having said that, you should be able to find a bus that fits your needs for under $3000.00 (and that's on the extreme high end). As Steve said, look around. eBay always has good deals, and there are other sources such as trucktraderonline.com that have used school buses listed all the time. The important thing is to shop around, compare prices and buy what's going to be best for you. Don't buy the first thing that comes along.

About gas vs. diesel, I would personally recommend diesel. It's more of a personal preference that I have. I get 10+ mpg with my 1969 Crown Supercoach on the road; that has a 671 Detroit Diesel Engine in it. Most of the newer school buses (mid-1980s and up) you'll probably find will most likely be equipped with diesel engines.

If your plans are to convert the bus into an RV, you won't need a commercial license. You'll be able to register the bus as an RV and drive it with your regular Class C license. The trick is convincing the DMV that the bus is no longer a school bus. Sometimes they'll require you to have the bus inspected before issuing you license plates, sometimes they won't. Out of the five times that I've registered an old school bus, only once did I have to get one inspected.

I hope this helps you out a little bit. Good luck!

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

IHCBusMan

8 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2003 :  9:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have some older IHC/thomas school buses for sale and some ford blue birds, also have a motor coach. send me a e-mail if interested. there located at Winona Minnesota my e-mail address is fordbus@iland.net

your fellow school bus driver/owner
Aaron

Go to Top of Page

john.keigher@midwesttransit.com

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  7:45:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might want to check with www.used-bus.com. We have over 200 used buses in-stock and ready for delivery. You can call Mario at 1-888-Used-Bus

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  06:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You might want to check with www.used-bus.com. We have over 200 used buses in-stock and ready for delivery. You can call Mario at 1-888-Used-Bus

I would highly recommend these people to you. I've never dealt with the Illinois division that Mario works at, but the Whitestown, Indiana division is GREAT. They are the most helpful dealer I've ever worked with before -- they'll take care of you!

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  11:57:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Midwest Transit is a great dealer to work with even if they do sell Blue Birds. But they've probably got a few good used Thomas Buses for sale.

"I'd rather pull my kids around in a 77 passenger Radio Flyer than drive a Blue Bird."
Go to Top of Page

patrick young

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2005 :  11:13:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit patrick young's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Howdy fellow Enthusiast/Bus Fan

I am new to the site, but I already recognize many of the nice bus folks and names I’ve seen for years on the Net. So I wanted to drop a line to some of the members who I think I might be able to share information with, or possibly lend assistance.

I am a retired school teacher (not by choice) who has been working with buses and trucks and diesel stuff for about 18 years. I've also owned 3 diesel Mercedes, a diesel Isuzu (Great car!), Lister Diesels, Deutz diesels, and I have also had two Nissan diesel pickups. I started driving a truck (Int’l Fleetstar 2000D, 6-71 DD, 10 speed Roadranger) 31 years ago when I was in the military.

I'm best on school buses, so if you have an expensive silversides 4104 I will be of only limited help. But I do know quite a bit about engines in general, especially Cummins, CAT, Detroits and IHC. I’ve helped rebuild a CAT 1160 V-8, and a 180 Cummins, so I learned a lot and got very dirty!

I currently have several Crowns, some Gilligs, a Ford/Gillig, an International/Ward, and also LOTS of tires and bus parts. I mean LOTS!

I have a very simple policy on selling anything, from an entire bus to the smallest part. If you are unsatisfied with anything, just return it undamaged for a full refund. That includes the entire bus, as long as you don’t keep it for 10 years. Bus parts and buses only appreciate in value (well OK s.l.o.w.l.y appreciate) so I won’t be hurt, nor will I have any hard feelings. I’ll just sell it to somebody else later.

I have also dismantled 7 buses (one Crown, two Fords and four Gilligs) and know a lot about their innards. I’ve spent waaaay too much time underneath a bus!

So if you need any help, feel free to give me a call or an e-mail.

Have a good one

Patrick Young
Wheelchair Project
Fresno, CA
WheelchairBusProject@yahoo.com
(559) 244-1042 (559) 251-3814
http://www.fresnoalliance.com/wheelchairproject

BE nice to even the mean people and it will help you grow and mautre. "You make a living by what you get, you make a life by what you give." (anything else wil just make you crazy eventually)

please Question Authority when you think it is necessary. If it is legitamate, it will stand up to the test. If not, don't be a hypocrite, and put your own effort into making it better, not just tearing it down. It is blasphemy to say God likes your nation, or has chosen your nation, over another. that is one of the many conceits and lies that ensures that if Jesus comes back, he probably won't spend much time here, but go to a humbler poorer nation where people have faith, not pride. There exists both Nationalistic Propaganda and Timeless and profound spiritual Truths that will outlive all of us. Unfortunately most of us are easily sedcued by the more comforting rhetoric,i.e. pleaasant falsehoods are better than unpleasant truths. A national flag has no place in a House of God. It is also blasphaemy, the church once again getting in bed with the State.
God neither sees nor respects the ever changing national boundaries and lines we draw on maps, nor our reasons for war, he sees his children deluding themselves out of fear, comfort and laziness.
I also like travelling, and cold beer.
Go to Top of Page

John M. Keigher
Advanced Member

USA
441 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2016 :  2:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit John M. Keigher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may want to check out Midwest Transit Equipment www.midwesttransit.com. We currently have over 700+ buses for sale in every bus make, model, size and price range. We have eight locations, 400+ employees and also sell bus parts and services. We are going on our 40th year in business.

www.midwesttransit.com
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2023 :  08:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For additional information on how and when to buy a used bus, check this out: https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/10011607/how-and-when-to-buy-a-used-school-bus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000