Mountainburg, AR School Bus Accident
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International110

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2001 :  8:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A tractor trailer hit a loaded school bus in Mountainburg, Arkansas today, killing two students. The truck apparently swerved off the road and hit the Blue Bird conventional, seperating the chassis from the body. Other students and both drivers were injured and their conditions are unknown at this time by myself.

Captain Larz

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2001 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember an accident about 6 years ago in Fox River Grove, IL where a blue bird conventional body separated from the chasis. Maybe blue bird should be looking into this.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
Advanced Member

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2001 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message  Send Ricky a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that the school bus involved in the Fox River Grove accident was an AmTran? I could be wrong. Someone once told me that the buses are built so that the chassis and body separate in an extreme crash, like the one in Mountainburg and Fox River Grove. Has anyone else heard of this before?

Stephen R. Adamson
Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2001 :  11:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I seem to remember an accident about 6 years ago in Fox River Grove, IL where a blue bird conventional body separated from the chasis. Maybe blue bird should be looking into this.

That was not a BB in Fox River Grove. It was an AmTran Conventional ...all conventionals are designed to do that in a heavy collision -- not a mfg defect as it may seem.

Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2001 :  11:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually all school buses manufactured today have separate bodies and chassis which are attached with body mounting bolts. In serious collisions, especially frontal-type, the body will tend to slide forward on the chassis rails, or the body will partly or completely detach from the chassis. When the body slides forward the driver can be placed in greater jeopardy than the students.

To my knowledge, only Gillig, Crown and TAM built buses where the body and chassis were intregal - and all are now out of the school bus market.

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2001 :  2:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

A tractor trailer hit a loaded school bus in Mountainburg, Arkansas today, killing two students.

The Shawnee (Oklahoma) News-Star just reported that a high-school student was killed and two younger children were critically injured Thursday when a school bus and a tractor-trailer collided at the bottom of a steep Interstate 540 exit ramp near the Oklahoma-Arkansas border:

http://www.news-star.com/stories/060101/new_accident.shtml

But the The Cabin Press (MOUNTAINBURG, Ark.) and others reported two students were killed and seven children were injured Thursday when a tractor-trailer broadsided a school bus at the bottom of a steep Interstate 540 exit ramp.

http://thecabin.net/stories/060101/sta_0601010068.shtml

(jk)

IN LOVING MEMORY:
http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/ilmem1.htm

Go to Top of Page

International110

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2001 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JK, the latter it true, about the two students being killed as reported by The Cabin Press.

INTERNATIONAL--"The Brilliance of Common Sense"
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2001 :  11:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

JK, the latter it true, about the two students being killed as reported by The Cabin Press.

INTERNATIONAL--"The Brilliance of Common Sense"

Thanks, (jk)

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2001 :  9:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You mean to tell me that there are Blue Bird Buses in Arkansas!!!...lol

Go to Top of Page

Frank, Bus #150

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  9:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank, Bus #150's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"I thought that the school bus involved in the Fox River Grove accident was an AmTran?"

The bus involved in the crash was a Blue Bird.
I drive for that school district and have also frequently "subbed" that route.

Frank, Bus #150 (Also a Blue Bird)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000