New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  03:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Group-

I'm curious to know if any of you have had experience with the VDO "Unigage" dashboard that Bluebird TC 2000's had for a few years.
We have 6 of these units and one of them despite all efforts continues to give false low oil pressure readings along with the alarm.
The engines are Cummins ISB and the oil pressure for the engine computer says one thing and the dashboard says something else.
Several dashboards were replaced under warranty as well as sending units
Let me know if you have had to deal with this and the outcome.

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  06:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Craig, what has your local Blue Bird Dealer recommended? I will research the subject and get back to you. I have two buses with the same dash but with the ISC engine. System wiring should be the same. I do know that Bird has had some problem with oil pressure sending units that read low.
Brad

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  08:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Craig,
I found my information on the TC Multi-function gauge. It is the technical support literature I received from my local Blue Bird Dealership. If you have changed the instrument panel assemblies it is possible that they were calibrated incorrectly and need recalibration. This is done by using a lap top computer and Blue Birds calibration software which you will not have more than likely.
You should ask your dealer to supply to you one of these manuals since it has all of the technical data pertaining to that dash within it, ie wiring schematics, resistance measurements, trouble shooting, etc.
Here is some of the info that might help you but I recommend you have your dealer help you fix the problems. If they are unwilling or unable to help you let me know and I will give you a technical support number direct to Blue Bird.

The oil pressure is measured and calculated based on the oil pressure sensor input signal. the measure value is indicated on a ~90 degree scale with a cross-coil movement (clockwise orientation).
pressure sensor resistance below 7 ohm for more than 5 seconds triggers a fault.
pressure sensor resistance above 195 ohm for more than 5 seconds triggers a fault.

Check these resistances at the sensor. If they are within the limits it is probably in the cluster itself and a programming problem.

Brad

Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2002 :  09:29:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad-

My local Bluebird dealer is real interested in selling me a new dash for $507.00 But not necessarily interested in spending time on this problem.
The bus is out of warranty so I've been asking around here and no one I've talked to has been through this situation.
I'm relieved that someone else is aware of the problem and "I'm not the only one."
Thanks for the tip. I'll pursue this from a different angle.

Craig

Go to Top of Page

toolbox

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  7:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had trouble with Bluebird TC2000RE's multifunction gauges . I think they are crap . The only solution we have found was replacement. They sure are cheap .HaHa !

Go to Top of Page

hobbo03

2 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  12:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if your dash has been changed under warranty several times chances are the problem is in your wiring or sender. try this, place a sender in line with the wire going to the dash, about a 70 to 80 ohm sender. this should read somewhere around half way on the dash, if the before mentioned values are correct of 7-195 ohm range.if it reads correct i would locate a good sender or install a resistor in-line to "lie" to the dash. but it needs to be one that will drop low enough to make the alarm go off when there is 0 psi.

Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2002 :  08:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the Bluebird "Fixes" was to install a 10 ohm resistor in the circuit to "lie" to the gauge. All this accomplished was to have the High pressure alarm sound at any engine speed above idle.
Apparently the Sender is a variable ground for this type system Bluebird has sent two sending units from VDO that were going to solve the problem but we still arent there.
They have sent me 10 bar and 5 bar senders.I know I'm not the only one with this problem, I just would like some resolution. I have 29 other buses that I'm trying to keep moving and I would like to work on other problems.

Go to Top of Page

wrenchmen

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2002 :  09:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Send wrenchmen an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Craig....there was a BlueBird Service Bulletin #S98CE dated 11-18-98 titled "engine temperature,oil pressure sender, and multi-function gauge false warning." this "fix" involved running a new ground wire for the water temp and oil psi sensors.

If you want to rule out the possibility of the dash being bad, how about removing a dash from a bus that has a properly working oil psi gauge and temporarily installing it in the bus that has the problem....this will quickly verify if the problem lies within the dash or the buses wiring.
These multi-function dashes have been a big headache for us. If you do replace one make certain to check that your ABS indicator light is functioning properly with the new dash installed {this is only on buses equipped with air brakes and ABS}.if the abs lp. does not work, the driver will not be aware of an abs fault. upon replacement of several dashes we later found out the abs lp. was no longer working. a wire had to be changed to fix the problem. this was on 1998 and 1999 TCRE buses.

Go to Top of Page

nissan bluebird

74 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2002 :  12:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm lookoing to pick one up for my nissan bluebird

Go to Top of Page

mbringas

2 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  12:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit mbringas's Homepage  Reply with Quote
does anyone know a phone # to some one who repairs these multi-function in one dash units, I have a 2000 blue bird that the instrument cluster went south. Tried a known good one and it fixed the problem. Or where can I get another cluster?. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2013 :  12:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send the cluster to United Radio in Syracuse NY. That's where my dealer told me to take them.

http://www.unitedradio.com/urweb/contactus.asp

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000