What is the best Fleet Maintenance Software
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kcurtiss

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  2:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello to all my fellow fleet maintenance managers, supervisors, etc. I ma fairly new at this position and am trying to determine the best and most efficient fleet maintenance program out on the market to utilize. Nothing to complicated but has basic capabilites like, work orders, parts inventory, dispatching of equipment, equipment data and history are jsut a few. I would appreciate any assistance in suggesting something as we do not have anything automated yet. Thanks..

kelvin curtiss

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2002 :  2:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kelvin,
We use Fleet Anywhere from Peregrin, and it's ok. I don't think there are any systems out there that are "perfect". Our system doesn't schedule anything for us, as Florida has it'a own special requirements. It just keeps track of what we do.
Basically we do support vehicles every 90 calendar days (inspection oil chg. lube,etc.)and buses every 20 working days, per current state mandate. That soon changes to 30 days. Use the best oil you can afford and keep it changed with reasonable frequency, and you should be ok. Good luck.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

UncleNeal

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  06:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Dossier '32 from Arsenault Associates. It tracks our inventory very well, and helps with our preventative maintenance program, as well as our record keeping. It is based in Microsoft Access, so it is pretty "user friendly." Just be aware that any program you choose will probably take a lot of time to initially set up, but the more you use it the easier it becomes.

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2002 :  11:59:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
kcurtiss, I do not believe anyone can tell you honestly what is the best software to use. Everyone who has made the investment in a maintenance software will probably say theirs is the best. They cannot afford to say otherwise. I use one that is different from those listed previously. The determination of what is best needs to come from you. I'll tell you what I did. I searched all the fleet magizines I could put my hands on for adds advertizing fleet maintenance software and made inquiries to each company. Many have free demo discs available that you can load and run for a trial period. I new what basic information I wanted to have in my software and used this for the guidelines in my search. Cost was an important factor too. Are you going to use it on a stand alone computer or do you want to network using multiple workstations? My software company offers an option called Global Access in which they manage and maintain the data files. The software is accessed on the internet. I do not use this but it is available. The purpose is to avoid loosing data. They always have a back-up of all data and can make program improvements as needed.
What you have to realize is that after you make your choice you will need to spend a very large amount of time inputing all of the vehicle data so the software will function properly.
This took me about one year to accomplish due to the fact that I still was working in the shop too. If you sit behind a desk all day perhaps you will have more time to spend on the project. Accuracy is extremely important from the beginning if you want it to work properly. If you are real good with computers and have good experience using MSExcel or similar programs you could possibly design your own however there are many programs available for any fleet at a fairly reasonable cost already.
My advise to you is to select a software program that will allow you to custom tailor it to your fleet. Many programs are set up to be used strictly for a certain market such as truck fleets and have different requirements than you will need in a bus fleet.
My software allowed me to enter any type of equipment or vehicle and set my own maintenance parameters for these types and I was able to customize the job codes that coinside with each type of work we perform rather than having to pick from a list of items with many you will never use.
This is something that you should not rush into. Research all companies you can. Test their software. Make the personal decision as to which will work best for you and your specific fleet. Organize all of your fleet data in a consistent manner that will be acceptable to the software you choose and start entering. Sometimes these programs are unforgiving so you must make sure all data entered is correct in the beginning. Occasionally you will find that some data is incorrect and you will just have to deal with it.
Brad

Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2002 :  11:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY KELVIN,
HERE IN BROWARD FL WE USE COMPASS 6.4 WE STARTED YEARS AGO WITH 3.2 IT IS PRETTY FLEXABLE. THE MORE YOU NEED THE MORE YOU PAY.
JUST DO YOURSELF A FAVOR. SHOP.

JIMBO

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2002 :  08:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I here that Fleet Maintenance System a product of Fleet Distribution has a great software product! Dose anyone out there use this system?

Go to Top of Page

jerryshaw88

1 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2014 :  12:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerryshaw88's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almost the same situation was with me few months ago, I have joined an organization related to the trucking and heavy dumpers business and don't know how to maintain and keep records of vehicles maintenance. One of my colleague advice me to use fleet management software by Vinity Soft Inc. I Tried and found it perfect for each level of business small and medium most preferably there fore I suggest you to try their amazing software and you can reach them by browsing http://www.vinitysoft.com/buy/ and share your views after trying their free trail version.

Hope it will works for you...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000