Safety question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  06:43:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 3 person shop we got one guy out sick the other is out for other reasons no one else is around due to the holiday no dispatch drivers anyone. There is no rules about working in the shop my last job we wernt allowed to work without someone else being around. Im asking you all just so ive at least tried I did ask my supervisor he didn't seam concerned but as you all know it doesnt take much to get hurt and with no one around anything can happen and your laying there for hours or days. Thanks

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  07:25:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a lot of one-person shops out there. Mine is that way about 25% of the time. Not a good situation, but it's our reality. I make it a point to have either my cell with me at all times or a radio clipped to me when I'm alone out there.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  07:33:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the one person in a rural one person shop, been doing it that way since 1978. When something crops up where I need an extra set of hands I try to arrange it to be at a time when a custodian is picking up/dropping off a vehicle.
Now if you have a situation where you don't have proper jacks/stands/lifts/etc., no help, no patience and unreasonable deadlines, can't farm out jobs that need to be farmed out, crap can happen.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 12/27/2018 07:36:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2018 :  3:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am the only guy in my shop. The transportation director is across the yard and the IT guy is next door but no one else in the shop. There are lots of times when no one else is around. I think it's fine - just be careful. Accidents can happen anywhere, anytime. I don't think the shop is necessarily any more dangerous than lots of other places. In fact, I'm sure it's safer than being out on the highway.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  06:32:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One man shop here. Most days I only see the drivers in the am and pm, then rest of the day is by myself. Occasionally I'll see a mid-day driver or the Principal/ AD that helps me out with scheduling trips and such. I also see the main custodian, he and I help each other out all the time. But there are days, like today, that I will see absolutely no one all day. It will be an awesome day! lol I worked on my wife's car before work this morning and now I'm removing a fuel tank from a FS65. Will be doing brakes and wheel seals on the same bus later today. I really like this time of year. No one to bother me and I actually get work done! lol

All that being said, I get a multitude of phone calls in a day. If I don't answer and anything (desk phone, cell phone, email, text, cell phone) they will likely be looking for me. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2018 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I am the same one person .I do have maintenance people in and out getting nuts or bolts . My boss is only supposed to work when school is in . I also try to do anything that requires brakes or something like that on days when school is going on and during summer school
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2019 :  03:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are now a 2 person shop a good part of the day. I feel your pain.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2019 :  05:54:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not uncommon for us to be alone in the shop, especially on non-school days.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000