Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC model year question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tkorpal

28 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  04:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Every year around Sep-Dec we get a new IC CE bus it shows on registration paper work to be current year for example the one we got yesterday show 2019 however on the vin plates in the bus it shows mfg date 8/21/17. how can a bus built in 2017 be sold as a 2019? the last 3-4 buses we got were 2 year different on registration and vin plates. Thoughts?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  05:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good question. We buy Blue Birds and they do the same thing. We got new ones a couple months ago and they are 2020 models.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  06:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The model year of the bus is important because of the safety standards it must conform to at the time of manufacture. This also goes for the engine and emissions requirements. Outside of those reasons, I really never found an answer to this question. Blue Bird always seemed to jump ahead a model year pretty early. In tracking your fleet, this gets tricky because a bus labeled as a 2010 was actually placed in service in 2009, making it a year older than presented if you don't have any supporting documentation to prove otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  07:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All three bus makers do this, and I don't pretend to know how it's legal. For example I have 3 "2014" Blue Birds...one was built October of 2012, the other two were July 2013. My last two ICs were built 2/18 and are "2019" models.

I was told once, and this does make sense, that they do this to help out operators in states with age limits based on the model year.

I made a spreadsheet to present to the higher-ups anytime they desire, that shows the age, miles and condition of each unit. That day's date automatically populates one column and I entered the in-service date and let excel calculate it's true age each time the report is opened.
Go to Top of Page

671Fan

47 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  10:09:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit 671Fan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To add on to what Sherm stated, I believe that the manufacturers build chassis ahead and stockpile them. Very handy to do if one is producing a motor that won't meet upcoming emission standards.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  11:44:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 671Fan

To add on to what Sherm stated, I believe that the manufacturers build chassis ahead and stockpile them. Very handy to do if one is producing a motor that won't meet upcoming emission standards.

I don't believe that IC bus is doing this, their bus manufacturing process would not allow it.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2018 :  1:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

quote:
Originally posted by 671Fan

I don't believe that IC bus is doing this, their bus manufacturing process would not allow it.

Oh they have done this in the past....

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  05:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

All three bus makers do this, and I don't pretend to know how it's legal. For example I have 3 "2014" Blue Birds...one was built October of 2012, the other two were July 2013. My last two ICs were built 2/18 and are "2019" models.

I was told once, and this does make sense, that they do this to help out operators in states with age limits based on the model year.

I made a spreadsheet to present to the higher-ups anytime they desire, that shows the age, miles and condition of each unit. That day's date automatically populates one column and I entered the in-service date and let excel calculate it's true age each time the report is opened.

Would you mind sending me an example of what you're doing on your report? I think you have my email. I have a spreadsheet that shows year model, year purchased, in service date, & mileage as well but wanted to see how you do it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  05:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Would you mind sending me an example of what you're doing on your report? I think you have my email. I have a spreadsheet that shows year model, year purchased, in service date, & mileage as well but wanted to see how you do it.

This is where maintenance software comes in handy.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  05:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sent!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  07:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sent!

Thanks

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  3:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We just got a 2020 IC that was built in August of 2018. Took the title to the courthouse to license it and they argued with me that it was impossible for it to be a 2020 and that the title had to be a misprint. Had to call IC to prove to them that it was right!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2018 :  5:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They weren't smart enough to decode the VIN and they issue registrations? Sounds like my local agency!
Go to Top of Page

tkorpal

28 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  04:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we are not the only ones with this issue, good to know.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  05:34:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tkorpal

Every year around Sep-Dec we get a new IC CE bus it shows on registration paper work to be current year for example the one we got yesterday show 2019 however on the vin plates in the bus it shows mfg date 8/21/17.

OK, so I just saw this. You say it was built 8/21/17. It's not a new bus then. The manufacture date on my newest Birds was about two weeks before I got them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  05:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stock unit, perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  07:36:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I see the same here with my new buses, use to be if I they were delivered in Nov of say 2013 they were titled the next year(2014) Now the last couple years they have been titled 2 years ahead... My 2016's came titled as 2018's .... my 2017's came titled as 2019's .... not sure the reason for it.....?

On a side note I use to work for a trucking company, we assembled many glider kits instead of purchasing new trucks.... Those at the time were old trucks ranging in age from early 1970's to 1980 vintage... after we got done swapping all major components to new cab and chassis they were titled whatever year it was current.... so it could be a 1972 Kenworth cabover to start with and end up being a 1996 kenworth T800 conventional truck when titled.... of course they were considered an assembled truck and had to go thru state inspection process.... we also at times would just buy a brand new cab for some of the old trucks and install them on the chassis, those would also be updated to current title year when done..... so in the end you might have a 1975 kenworth titled as a 1988 truck because it had a new cab installed and the rest of truck was spruced up in the process...

Answer to op question..... if bus never left factory lot for 2 years after built, it was never titled anywhere..... until when sold or delivered to dealer then it was titled to current year..... I seen that same issue on some of my original Bluebirds when I started here at school.... I had let's say a 2005 titled bus, that had a 2002 IH chassis with a 2004 body.... it was stock chassis at factory for awhile til bus was bullt and sold... given IC's factory the way they build them, I wouldn't that would happen....but if you ever visit Tulsa there are people at IC that will tell you... they have no Idea how many buses are in there factory lot..... apparently nobody keeps track of that according to the gentleman that gave us the plant tour when we were there... he claimed one of buses in lot was found 100 miles away in oklahoma and the only way they knew it was missing was when the police called and ask if they were missing one as it was an untitled brand new bus...

Edited by - slippert on 12/21/2018 07:50:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On most any vehicle with a VIN, the build date will almost always be at least a year behind the year model. Just take cars and trucks, say Chevy just for example. If you'd gone car shopping for a new truck in September this year, you'd have been able to buy a 2019 model truck and they'd have been closing out the 2018's. It's been this way as long as I can remember and I'm pretty old....

Now, I have to say, I've never seen one be two years difference.

-Scott
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

but if you ever visit Tulsa there are people at IC that will tell you... they have no Idea how many buses are in there factory lot..... apparently nobody keeps track of that according to the gentleman that gave us the plant tour when we were there... he claimed one of buses in lot was found 100 miles away in oklahoma and the only way they knew it was missing was when the police called and ask if they were missing one as it was an untitled brand new bus...

I find that hard to believe. I'll bet the guy giving the tour doesn't understand how they do inventory. I know they build some for stock but the vast majority will be built to order and are destined for a particular company or district.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  08:59:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding, and I've been wrong before, is that now IC doesn't build anything at all unless a dealer orders it. Exceptions would be prototypes, units for crash testing, etc.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2018 :  12:56:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My understanding, and I've been wrong before, is that now IC doesn't build anything at all unless a dealer orders it. Exceptions would be prototypes, units for crash testing, etc.

Yeah, in this day and age I would think that they would know where every nut and bolt is located. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2019 :  12:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
IDK if IC or any large company know where every nut and bolt is, especially in our throw away society these days, plus big business/industry doesn't worry about lose control ....it's a write off to them... if they get in to deep our wonderful govt will bail them out, lol

I had been told IC just builds a bus as ordered, but 6 years ago when I went through the IC school at the factory they sure had bunches of buses setting around idle...some lots (we were told) were cancelled orders and had been there for a couple years... I would speculate there was 1500-2000 buses setting around there, not all were ordered or being prepped for delivery...those were in different lots or running thru final tests and prep...
Not sure how much knowledge the man that toured us through plant had but, he did have the white collar shirt on and was fairly high up from what we were told at the time... He was the one that made the comment that they really didn't have a clue how many buses were on there lot at any given time.... We took him at his word.. He was also the one that told the story about the stolen bus being found parked on side of road out of fuel by the Oklahoma state patrol... Like I said we just took his word he knew what he was talking about.....
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Yeah, in this day and age I would think that they would know where every nut and bolt is located. lol

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2019 :  05:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting story. I believe you, it's just hard to understand why they wouldn't have tighter control over things.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000