Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 Cummins emissions issues
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  04:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SCR issues, VGT actuators, NOX sensors and turbos. What a flippin headache they are. That is all:(

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  04:49:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EGR valves, DEF tank headers and coolant flow control valves, oh my

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  06:54:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My staff and I are considering a gasoline bus. Never thought that would come out of my mouth (or keyboard in this case).
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  07:16:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just dumped $5,700 into a ten-year old bus for emissions repair on a Cummins. I, too, am waiting on gasoline pricing to go along with my propane specs. #donewithdiesel
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  08:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than travel distances or a need for an eighty four passenger unit, its hard for me to see a plus side of owning a diesel bus.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have bought propane Blue Birds the last two years. They are not trouble free. Out of 24 purchased the first year, 7 have had pump failures. We now have 44 of these. Roush tells me that they are working on the problem and should be coming out with a new style pump by years end.
Either way I am committed to no more diesels for us.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2018 :  10:21:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alot of issues with EPA whatever is dead idle, don't matter if the bus is only idling for 5 minutes it should be on high idle and with cummins you can change a parameter that will help with the driving cycle of these units(look for dpf filter temperature stabilization change it to enable then change minimum speed regen to zero)ALL FOUND IN FEATURES AND PARAMETERS just means if regening a stop will not stop it it will just keep on chugging

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2018 :  01:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluenozer

Alot of issues with EPA whatever is dead idle, don't matter if the bus is only idling for 5 minutes it should be on high idle and with cummins you can change a parameter that will help with the driving cycle of these units(look for dpf filter temperature stabilization change it to enable then change minimum speed regen to zero)ALL FOUND IN FEATURES AND PARAMETERS just means if regening a stop will not stop it it will just keep on chugging

That parameter has been set on all of ours. Seemed to help but still have issues.

Edited by - RBrian on 11/01/2018 01:48:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shopdog

11 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  10:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shopdog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree on going away from diesel engines due to the constant issues from the after treatment systems. My opinion is if you are going to have diesels you must plan on replacing them a lot sooner than we used to in the past. The costly repairs on them is crazy and it seems as though once a problem happens it just start another issue. We used to talk about engine longevity but these diesels of today are lasting just fine, it is all the extra stuff after the engine that can't survive. The cost of replacing a wore out gasoline engine can sometimes be a cheaper and better decision. Plus with gasoline we don't have to worry about cold weather issues and fuel quality issues near as much as we do with diesel. Ok that was my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

Bluenozer
Top Member

Canada
644 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2018 :  11:23:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thing with these epa Cummins units is the EGR delta-p ports must be kept clean , if the port clogs can give you codes from egr cooler efficiency, frequent regen(code) egr temp. codes If the engine is not working correctly it will wreck the aftertreatment

OEM trained in wiring and all engine platforms for over 20 years
Go to Top of Page

1Dieselman

28 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  05:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1Dieselman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We must be one of the lucky one's. Most of our buses have over 200k and a few over 300k and we have very few issues with the diesels. We have a small fleet (4 sped conventional, 28 84 passenger transits, 16 routes) but we travel over 500,000 miles a year which I believe helps with the emissions systems a lot. I don't let the drivers sit at low idle more than 5 minutes. We do pull egr valves and deferential pressure sensors once a year to clean soot from the ports. We have never had to remove a scr or dpf for cleaning, but once again I believe miles traveled helps with that. We only have one short route that I would dare to consider something other than a diesel bus.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2018 :  07:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1Dieselman

We must be one of the lucky one's. Most of our buses have over 200k and a few over 300k and we have very few issues with the diesels. We have a small fleet (4 sped conventional, 28 84 passenger transits, 16 routes) but we travel over 500,000 miles a year which I believe helps with the emissions systems a lot. I don't let the drivers sit at low idle more than 5 minutes. We do pull egr valves and deferential pressure sensors once a year to clean soot from the ports. We have never had to remove a scr or dpf for cleaning, but once again I believe miles traveled helps with that. We only have one short route that I would dare to consider something other than a diesel bus.

Ditto for me. All of my routes drive on the highways (9 routes at a min 60 and max 140 miles per day)
I have occasional issues as well but not to the extent of most short route school districts. With new emissions tech the choice of power plant anyone decides to buy needs to be motivated by how/where you need that vehicle to run.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000