New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2018 :  1:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, they did it. Lap/ shoulder belts for all new buses. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, because I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if it's a good thing. I do know there is more injuries in slow speed crashes with belts. But, injuries are better than death which occurred in the crash in NJ late last school year. The tide is against anyone wanting anything other than belts as an answer to this problem.

http://stnonline.com/news/latest-news/item/9751-n-j-amends-school-bus-law-to-require-3-point-seat-belts?utm_source=eNews+8.29.18&utm_campaign=STN+Enews+&utm_medium=email

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  04:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still waiting for the report to come out, and I believe NJ should have too. This appears to be knee-jerk reaction.

If the fatals were seated in the area of impact, typically in these cases belts of any type would have made no difference.

You now have two major crashes on record (one motorcoach, one school bus) with 3-point belts and minimal injury to passengers. Like it or not, it's coming for us all, and probably soon.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  05:36:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. I'd just like a more in depth look at these issues before we do this. However, I don't think that is possible at this point (too much hype and mindset of "it has worked for years in cars so buses are the same and anyone who doesn't think that is stupid" mentality). There are some good options out there on seat belts. Blue Bird is putting out an integrated seat option this year that appears to be different that what we've been seeing. I'm also encouraged by the cost. Price is coming down fast on this.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2018 :  06:20:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea I think NJ felt forced to do something on this , though not saying I disagree with it , I for one feel very safe about my kid riding the school bus regardless of seatbelts overall there statistically much safer than riding in your own car . Much of the safety has to do with not only the bus obviously , but the driver and while some districts are severely short handed with drivers may cause cause them to be scraping the bottom of the barrel so to speak when comes to new hires .

Edited by - td083 on 08/31/2018 06:26:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  04:52:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
let me just say this i live and work in nj and this state has sooooooo many knee jerk laws its not even funny they make a law but have no idea how to make it work like they passed a bill where they wanted some type off senors on the buses front and rear to make sure no kids where around bus before it started to move ok i get that but come up with a plain do some reserCH demo some stuff to find out what works then pass a bill dont just pull something out your ass then find out it dont work then scrap the idea it happens so much with everything in thing in this state dont get me started
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  05:50:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

let me just say this i live and work in nj and this state has sooooooo many knee jerk laws its not even funny they make a law but have no idea how to make it work like they passed a bill where they wanted some type off senors on the buses front and rear to make sure no kids where around bus before it started to move ok i get that but come up with a plain do some reserCH demo some stuff to find out what works then pass a bill dont just pull something out your ass then find out it dont work then scrap the idea it happens so much with everything in thing in this state dont get me started

No common sense. I won't get started either. But it's safe to say that many legislators don't have it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  07:30:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah its sounds very familiar will sign a bill and read it later
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  09:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

yeah its sounds very familiar will sign a bill and read it later

HA! Same lack of brain cells.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2018 :  11:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You think it's bad there, you should try living here in California! I am now trying to get Child Check devices installed in every bus because of that new law.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  04:51:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
o man i am sure its way worse in california but our governer wants us to be like u guys so will be right there with u soon o joy
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2018 :  08:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seat belts, seat belts, seat belts. The more accidents and injuries I see about buses, the more I am for them. We had and accident 3 weeks ago where a car pulled out in front of a special needs bus doing 50 mph. The driver of the bus has 2 fracture wrists and hip and shoulder issues. The wrists were from the steering wheel but the other two were most likely from her seat belt, which is normal.

The aid on the bus as mini fractures on her spine from where she impacted the crash barrier. All of the students were sore for the next week. None of them had seat belts on and all of the impacted the seat in front of them. Thank god the wheelchair student was strapped in correctly.

Moral of the story is we would probably not be without an aid right now had she had a lap and shoulder belt available and on. My opinion. Also if this would have been side impact we would have had massive injuries.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000