DT466 (08) fan belt tensioner bolt.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  09:10:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I was looking over one of our older route busses (used till last day of school) and noticed that the fan belt tensioner wasnt pulled up flush to the timing cover. I took the fan belt loose and the tensioner fell to the floor? Bolt had broke off leaving about three threads on the bolt. The rest of the bolt is still in the timimg cover....

I am no stranger to "Dutchman" removal. I am wondering how much meat is in the area of where the bolt threads into the timing cover should it need a Heli-coil installed? Wonder if CAT makes a bolt with the same specs?

Grr!!! Thanks all!!

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2018 :  2:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Broken piece of bolt was removed. only had about 5 good threads left in the bottom of the hole so I ordered the correct Heli-coil set and put a insert in it. New bolt and tensioner was installed and snugged up nicely.

Bus had a Dayco #89469 tensioner on it and there is no comparison between the two for belt tension. OEM tensioner has fixed a belt squeal I have been chasing. Bus has dual a/c compressors which put an added load on the fan belt.

Killed two birds with one stone.......... :-)

Edited by - CISDbusman on 08/16/2018 2:38:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  04:28:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CISDbusman

Broken piece of bolt was removed. only had about 5 good threads left in the bottom of the hole so I ordered the correct Heli-coil set and put a insert in it. New bolt and tensioner was installed and snugged up nicely.

Bus had a Dayco tensioner on it and there is no comparison between the two for belt tension. OEM tensioner has fixed a belt squeal I have been chasing. Bus has dual a/c compressors which put an added load on the fan belt.

Killed two birds with one stone.......... :-)

That is good to know about the tensioner differences.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  07:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
did you look real close at the 'oem' tensioner? it's stamped DAYCO right on it.

dayco has been supplying international for quite some time.

Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  2:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kummins

did you look real close at the 'oem' tensioner? it's stamped DAYCO right on it.

dayco has been supplying international for quite some time.

1873217C2 is the part number for the OEM tensioner. If you put that in the Dayco webpage cross reference search it spits out DAYCO #89469. Trust me or not but the OEM one has a WAY stronger spring in it!!! Is the Dayco web page wrong?? I won't use another #89469!!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2018 :  5:56:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of the CAT applications are like that...Dayco-made CAT part = GTG; aftermarket will-fit Dayco, not so much.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000