Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Dt466e all pushrods bent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gregjg

5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2018 :  09:19:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gregjg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did an inframe rebuild kit on a dt466e. Wouldn’t start. Took it back down and found all 12 pushrods bent.

What did I do wrong? I ordered new pushrods but don’t want to make the same mistake.

I had the head and valves tested before I put it back together and it tested good.
The lifters had absolutely no damage before I put them back in.

Can anyone enlighten me on what could have cause all 12 rods to bend?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  06:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like your timing isn't correct.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Gregjg

5 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2018 :  08:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gregjg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is what I thought. But I never opened the front cover, or messed with cam shaft or timing that I can think of.

I did have #1 on TDC when I adjusted valves to .025 (1,2,3,6,7 and 10) then rotated engine 360 degrees and adjusted the remaining valves (4,5,8,9,11 and 12)

Isn't that what I was suppose to do?
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  01:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It sounds like you may have determined the position of the crankshaft but not the cam. Piston #1 is at TDC twice per 4-stroke cycle while the cam rotates only once. At TDC you need to see if the lifters/push rods for that piston are raised or not. If raised, that piston is in a valve open (overlap) position. If not raised, the piston is at TDC firing (valves closed) position and that valve group can be adjusted. The verification must be done but only needs to be done once. If you find the "wrong" #1 TDC you can just swap the sequence to #6 TDC instead of barring the engine around and around.

On another note... one should never attempt to start up a just assembled engine without barring the crankshaft over a minimum of 2 full revolutions (by hand-not with the starter). It's also not a bad idea to do so after valvetrain adjustments or part replacements.

Go to Top of Page

Gregjg

5 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2018 :  03:40:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gregjg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, After a bunch of research I found out I was sold the wrong rebuild kit. When I first got the kit, The pistons were smaller (4 1/2" new vs 5" old), and I called and asked if I had the right kit. I was told "International made the pistons smaller because the rings on the 5" pistons kept snapping when trying to install them".

So after a bunch of negotiating, All they would do is supply me with the right kit and that I would have to purchase new rods myself. The labor was on me.

Luckily I had another block with rods and I used them. So I put it all back together and it started right up. Sounds great.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2018 :  07:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this a genuine International kit from a dealer, or an aftermarket kit? Just curious.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000