New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  08:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in this story on a growing severity of a shortage of vehicle technicians. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/730311/report-shows-growing-shortage-of-vehicle-technicians

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  05:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been thinking about this article. Of course we aren't going to solve any of this here. But.... common sense would tell you if you want more of something, in a free market society such as ours, you just keep upping the pay until the problem is over. Most districts hold it as common sense that if you want a good superintendent you have to be competitive enough to get someone you can count on. That often times means paying over 100k in our area (more in larger areas).

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  07:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better pay for sure. We've had and open for a tech for 2 years now and have had only a handful applied. None have been qualified. We have one now that I said no to but the bus is considering.
Speaking of pay, they just revamped our pay and if it is what I was told, the raise is HUGE!!!

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  08:19:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Better pay for sure. We've had and open for a tech for 2 years now and have had only a handful applied. None have been qualified. We have one now that I said no to but the bus is considering.
Speaking of pay, they just revamped our pay and if it is what I was told, the raise is HUGE!!!

Maybe they are getting the message. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

khpayne

13 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2018 :  12:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit khpayne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
at the district where I work , we are soo short on qualified techs that they have brought in drivers and trained them as oil checkers and tire people and now they I'm noticing that they are working on buses doing actual work that the techs should be doing and it falls back to money and the way people are treated . if the district is not offering a competitive salary then your not going to get decent workers.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  06:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of the issue, with districts, is that the people doing the hiring don't have a good handle on what goes on in the shop. If they had a grasp of the facts they would be more appreciative and give more recognition at least. At best they would try to get more compensation. Also, most techs don't take the time to explain, in a way that educators can understand, what is involved. We often think they should already know what we do.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  06:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
explain it to them in terms they'll understand:

"so, you want to place the lives of 50+ children, in the hands of an unkowledgable, inexperienced person, with no background in automotive mechanics, just to save a few bucks?, your response will be published on social media"
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2018 :  08:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Kummins, in a perfect world that would work. Unfortunately this isn't a perfect world. I'm not disagreeing though that we need qualified people and decent wages.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  04:57:27 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our new director ask us technicians what our retirement plans were; we range in age from 70 to 60 and only one of us actually has a plan.
We just started training this summer a driver that was interested in becoming a tech, he is working out very well.
We tried students in on job training co-op style, but we were rather disappointed in those results.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2018 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

My base salary just went up $568 a month!!!

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  05:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

My base salary just went up $568 a month!!!

Holy Cow!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000