New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2018 :  2:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pop quiz, what's "reverse alkalinity"? Whatever it is, mine is below 3.0.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  04:40:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's reserve Alkalinity, not reverse. How well the coolant can handle acid contamination.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  04:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I have been reading up on this. I guess what confused me is the new test strips I got. The old ones just said Ph. So, the 3.0 is the ph level and I need to bring it up to at least 5.0. Anyone have a recommendation on additives. I don't recall having much trouble with this over the years. We keep our buses for close to 20 years so I want to figure this out.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  05:02:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

OK, I have been reading up on this. I guess what confused me is the new test strips I got. The old ones just said Ph. So, the 3.0 is the ph level and I need to bring it up to at least 5.0. Anyone have a recommendation on additives. I don't recall having much trouble with this over the years. We keep our buses for close to 20 years so I want to figure this out.

I'm with you on that. I haven't had a coolant engine related issue other than the DT466 o ring, but that was an IC issue not coolant.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2018 :  10:43:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's more for 'wet sleeved' engines, the sleeves vibrate fiercely , forcing the coolant molecules to continually bounce away from the sleeve & then return with a 'violent' collision, over time the sleeve can pit and cause a hole. most every modern wet sleeve diesel engine has a coolant filter which is not an actual filter, but a cartridge containing dca's that attach to the metal parts & sleeves, protecting them from pitting.

in a tradition solid block, the dca's (additives) do squat, although some say it helps protect the waterpump in the same way.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  05:45:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is on a propane engine. I have always ran Cat extended life coolant in all my diesels. I seldom change the coolant and have never had and issue. My oldest bus has 250k plus miles and is 18 years old. It's sitting right in front of me now. It actually looks & drives pretty darn good to be that old, if I don't say so myself. Wish I could post pics on here as easy as Facebook. I may try to post a pic here in a few. Pretty proud of it for some reason. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  09:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the old bus I was talking about. Love the old Chevys. https://photos.app.goo.gl/e3t7ZmEMHZQ2D6xr9

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  09:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Here's the old bus I was talking about. Love the old Chevys. https://photos.app.goo.gl/e3t7ZmEMHZQ2D6xr9

I have 2 of those on daily routes. They don't look good.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2018 :  1:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have two on daily routes. One gets mega miles on it. I have 4 that serve as spares. Never fail to start unless the batteries are down.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2018 :  7:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Chevy is a nice bus! Keep taking care of it!
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  07:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Bryan this is a little off your topic but since you mentioned your GM buses I am trying to find a "Low coolant" sensor for my 2003 BB B7 chassis with the 8.1L in it. It sits in the radiator on the right tank about half way down. I put a new Carquest radiator in it.My GM and parts store cant't find anything for it. Also BB dealer said no. HELP! Any ideas?
ED
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2018 :  07:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eshover

Hey Bryan this is a little off your topic but since you mentioned your GM buses I am trying to find a "Low coolant" sensor for my 2003 BB B7 chassis with the 8.1L in it. It sits in the radiator on the right tank about half way down. I put a new Carquest radiator in it.My GM and parts store cant't find anything for it. Also BB dealer said no. HELP! Any ideas?
ED

Hmm, all mine are in the plastic tank on the right side of the engine compartment. What's the sensor look like?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  05:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I found another GM dealer that was able to locate the "switch" which I called a sensor. It has two prong hookup and is plastic. It twisted off during removal.
I will see if it is correct today when it comes in.
ED
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2018 :  07:51:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  04:39:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bryan, The switch worked for my radiator. It is in the right hand radiator tank.
ED
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2018 :  05:50:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eshover

Bryan, The switch worked for my radiator. It is in the right hand radiator tank.
ED

Awesome! Good to hear!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000