Another air leak issue :-(
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have another air leak issue and can't seem to find it . I have a 2002 TC 2000 with a 5.9 . Lately the driver will park the bus after her morning run . Come back 6 hrs latter and the bus is down on air sometimes down to 60 lbs . Both gauges drop the same amount of air .I checked the valves behind the fuse door . I have crawled around and checked all the air fittings and lines .I opened up the air door door and found no leaks . Is there something I am missing ? I have never had both systems dump the same amount of air in that short of time ? I do notice the air tanks are covered in a great deal of rust . Thanks

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  12:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spray the tanks with soapy water

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  12:53:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does the bus have air bags?
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  12:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No air bags .
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  1:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it never drops below 60 theres a good chance your leak is somewhere on the accessory side. that at least narrows your search window.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

1Dieselman

28 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2018 :  1:35:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1Dieselman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the parking brake dash valve. We have had some that leak ever so slightly and sometimes just rotating the knob a little will make it stop.

Edited by - 1Dieselman on 04/17/2018 1:39:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  05:10:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Air door? if so check the cylinder and the hoses.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  06:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know if they're replacing them because they're leaking or preventative just because they're there, but we've used quite a few of the air fittings at the gauges.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2018 :  06:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fittings on the VDO gauges (from this era of bus) weren't notorious for leaking, but it's possible. Now...the Actia gauge fittings....yeah...junk.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2018 :  08:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do a sound check for leaks everywhere. We just got a T3RE into the shop with rodent damage in a line below the dash. And some of our "older" stuff (2005-7) have developed cracks in the 5/8" main line.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2018 :  11:34:28 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I checked the dash gauges , no leaks I checked the park brake no leaks .I asked the driver to not bleed off the tanks last night . I asked her to see where the pressure was at this morning . She took a picture and the gauges showed 0 PSI . Any more ideas ? I am going under the bus again and hopefully see or hear something ? I did find just a few minutes ago a wet tank drain leaking . That doesn't explain why all the tanks drain down Thanks

Edited by - valleybusman on 04/20/2018 12:28:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2018 :  12:36:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

spray the tanks with soapy water

I've seen quite a few decent looking air tanks over the years with a leak at the base of a threaded bung, usually one for a bottom drain or plug. The bungs are usually the type that appear to be either crimped or friction welded in place, not fillet welded.

Another sometimes tricky leak is from the compressor air governor.

Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your brake relay valves really well. I have had a rash of them leaking lately at the purge valve in them and they were dropping both gauges just like you seeing. You cannot hear them leak and you have to drench them in soapy water to get them to bubble. I went down to our local hardware store and purchased a 1/2 gallon weed sprayer and fill it up with extra soapy water and use it instead of a spray bottle. I use about 4oz of blue dawn dish soap in the 1/2 gal sprayer.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2018 :  12:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second the relay valve for back axle. We do 3 or 4 a year. It seems like a small (slow) enough air leak will get by the check valves and let both systems bleed out.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  06:23:35 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I found my problem . The park brake valve . I didn't realize there is a hose coming off the back of the valve . Has a hose going thru the floor board into just air . Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2018 :  11:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah yep...to reduce the driver area noise of the air dumping when the brake is being set. Good find!
Go to Top of Page

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  05:52:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Air leaks stink because of quick connect fittings. I despise them lol
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  06:24:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those are evil and should be banned.
Go to Top of Page

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  12:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I really love the plastic ones.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2018 :  1:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The disconnect tools are handy to have. But even then Ill spend 10 seconds tops trying to pull the hose out and if it doesnt break free, I break out the knife.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  10:27:21 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I tried those air disconnect tools couldn't get a release . So i used a pair of channel locks squeezed the collar with one hand and had a free hand an worked the hose out .
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valleybusman

I tried those air disconnect tools couldn't get a release . So i used a pair of channel locks squeezed the collar with one hand and had a free hand an worked the hose out .

They work best when there is no air in the line.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2018 :  12:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's very true I always open all the tanks and pump the peddle .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000