Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 DT466e no start help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amtran_dt466e

2 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  11:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Amtran_dt466e's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Everyone

I have a 96 Amtran with a DT466e that is having issues. The first issue was the gauge showed zero oil pressure, but ran fine parked (I liked to start it and just let it run while converting it to a RV).

I had to move it to another RV lot and drove it for maybe a mile o two to get it to the new location. During the drive the oil pressure gauge started working or showing pressure, so I was really happy. I parked it at the new spot and came back in a few days and the motor would not start. It has now sat for 6 plus month and will not start and the oil gauge says zero..

I was hoping to get it running for camping this summer and would love any suggestions anyone has!!

I thought maybe the motor wasn't getting gas so I did try to primer the shotgun shell looking thing but it never got hard, it just stayed really easy to pump... and a I must have pumped for a few minutes.

I was thinking about trying to use starting fluid, hoping that would bring everything back online... But to sure how to do this since it has a turbo.

I am really hopeful to get some suggestions I can try to get my bus running again...

Thanks
Chris

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  3:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im guessing that the gauge thing isnt an issue for starting but just a sending unit issue. starting fluid shouldnt hurt anything as long as it doesnt have an intake heater or glow plugs and i dont think ive ever seen a dt466 with either. check your batteries because it wont start if its cranking slow. double check your oil level too. its possible that youve lost prime in the fuel and/or oil system. hit it with some starting fluid and see if you cant get it to kick over. its what ive used after a repair or service to the oil/fuel system and need it for a run sooner than I have time to prime it properly. if it doesnt run after that youll have to do some digging. good luck.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Amtran_dt466e

2 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  3:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Amtran_dt466e's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

im guessing that the gauge thing isnt an issue for starting but just a sending unit issue. starting fluid shouldnt hurt anything as long as it doesnt have an intake heater or glow plugs and i dont think ive ever seen a dt466 with either. check your batteries because it wont start if its cranking slow. double check your oil level too. its possible that youve lost prime in the fuel and/or oil system. hit it with some starting fluid and see if you cant get it to kick over. its what ive used after a repair or service to the oil/fuel system and need it for a run sooner than I have time to prime it properly. if it doesnt run after that youll have to do some digging. good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I am going to give that a go this weekend. Past that I'm going to start on the HPOP and the ICP, then move to the injectors and seals.

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000