Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Crank Case Pressure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  11:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 6.7 2013 Cummins that is consistently throwing a code for high crank case pressure, I have changed the crank case filter, the crank case pressure sensor, updated the calibration, and checked for any clogged air lines going to the crank case. Any ideas where I should go next?

Edited by - msharp63 on 03/12/2018 1:47:43 PM

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  11:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I assume 6.7? Whats the code?
Go to Top of Page

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  11:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes sorry my typo 6.7, the spn 101 fmi 0, sometimes fmi 16
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  12:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Harness wiring to sensor checks good....? Oil drain back tube and or check valve is ok? or breather oil separator plugged/restricted? CC breather and road draft tube open?

Not forsure by what I read above, but sounds like you have already done most of this and assume if you updated calibration you have Insite.... and access to quick serve online?
Go to Top of Page

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  12:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes I have checked all the tubes and breather, and yes I have insite, I have followed everything it has suggested. CC filter seems to be getting a fair amount of oil in it, I am guessing it could be a piston ring, but hopping not. What are your thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

enokradeht

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  2:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
overfull on oil? Turbo boosting through the seals?

Edited by - enokradeht on 03/09/2018 2:06:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  2:05:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one that got dusted because of a bad seal at the bottom of the air filter. Freightliner latercame out with a service bulletin for a rubber band to put on the bottom of the filter housing to help keep dirt out. Pull the air filter out and look in the hose for dirt. Had to hone and re-ring to solve the crank pressure issue.

Edited by - RBrian on 03/09/2018 2:09:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2018 :  2:17:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should add that Feightliner covered the cost thanks to our dealer. They didn't do it without a fight though.

Edited by - RBrian on 03/09/2018 2:18:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  04:18:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok, I just had someone tell me that the new crank case filters for these engines do not have any filter material in them, they are just an empty case. Has anyone else run into this?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  04:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last ones I got (back in August) were not an empty case.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  06:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I just purchased some of those filters last week ... the ones i got are not empty case either...
So going back to what you have done, the wiring harness and connectors are all in working order? that sensor has to be able to send signal to ECM or if not it would throw a code, so if you have checked all parts and wiring thoroughly, maybe ECM issue and not receiving signal?
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just received (4) Friday. They definitely have filter media in them. If I knew how to post a pic I would.
Go to Top of Page

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  09:05:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I appreciate all the help, as for it being the ECM or wiring, I really do not think that can be the problem, I only get the code when the engine is under a load, such has pulling a hill, so I believe the high pressure is legit.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  11:38:43 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How many miles/hours are racked up on your engine? In my fleet 2013 engines have 75000 to 125000 miles on them, so unless it got dusted or by some other odd circumstance... it should still be in factory warranty..?.

ON a side note since the first 6.7's came into the fleet here,... We purchase the extended 10 year unlimited miles coverage thru Cummins, cost has been around 3600$ so far... so if/when the problems that seem to happen while in factory warranty...continue after that expires we shouldn't have to pay the high price for turbos, injectors, sensors, DEF issues?, labor, etc... with the expenses already saved on these engines in first 5 years...I know it will for sure pay back in the next 5.... and we are only 50 miles from Cummins or IC dealer who is Cummins authorized repair center

Edited by - slippert on 03/12/2018 11:43:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

1Dieselman

28 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  10:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit 1Dieselman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hook a manometer to the crankcase to check pressure. Something we have run into here is a badly worn air compressor creating crankcase pressure
Go to Top of Page

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  11:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to make an update, the problem ended up being the turbo seals. As for the breather filters with no filter material, cummins said they do have those empty case filters, but they are used as a stop gap until you can get the real problem fixed.
Thanks for all the help
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2018 :  12:49:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
msharp63 I am having the same problem with one of my bluebird visions with 115k on the clock. how did you check your turbo seals? I have noticed a turbo whine from it when coming off of route when it is parked and allowed to idle. I have checked my turbo to see if it was pushing oil through it but it appears clean, all cac boots and clamps are good. I have gutted my crankcase breather to try and get it through the school year but it still comes on from time to time. I have also cleaned out all oil return lines from the ccf housing and checked the pressure sensor wiring then replaced the sensor but it still comes up with the fault periodically in different circumstances. thanks for any help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000