Frozen brake lines
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  09:51:27 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This morning we had a temp of 10 degrees . 4 buses wouldn't build up air because something was frozen . I suspect air dryers . Doesn't get this cold in Washington state as a rule . Anyway what do districts do to keep their systems from icing up ? What is available ? Can it be added on ? Thanks

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  10:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do your air dryers not have a heater elements on them? Assuming its not frozen somewhere else.
If not you can install them.
We had this happen on a bunch on VanHool transit buses in UT while out on the road. They designed the air compressor discharge line in a triangular coil that went up and then over to the air dryer. Said it was to help prevent carbon build up in the line. It was cold enough after building air the water vapor would collect in the coil and freeze. Double check that the air dryer inlet is lower than the air compressor outlet and the discharge line is relatively straight.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  10:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea the air dryer inlet at least in our fleet is usually always the culprit .
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  10:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pour some alcohol into the system. I know some trucks use alcohol evaporators for this reason.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  11:57:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll also add to be sure you have good power and ground to the air dryer heater elements. When I got here about half of the things had a problem with one or the other...and they couldn't understand why they had so many air problems.

We have had more than one new Blue Bird come in with no fuse installed in the slot.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000