Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2018 :  1:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a funny one, so I thought I'd share:

1999 IH 4700, DT466E, AT 545 comes in off route yesterday, and won't stat to leave the truck bay. I'm hard at work on another truck, so I jump the starter and tell them to go park it. Truck starts fine with a remote starter switch hooked up, but I notice the reverse lights and alarm are on as they drive the truck forward out the door...

I finish the first truck, and head outside to check on this one- scratching my head the whole way. The reverse switch SHOULD be pressure activated, not electric. Right?? Right.
The truck is not starting, like if it were in reverse (or another gear.) But it seems to go forward ok, right?? Right.

I get out to the truck and with Key On Engine Off- reverse light and alarm are on. Truck won't crank. I schedule a replacement truck for the next day's route, and head home because it is late in the day, and I'm about to get locked out (my shop situation is a bit different than most, when other folks are ready to go home, I gotta go to.)

I arrive this morning, use my remote starter switch to get the truck started, and do a little test drive with the reverse alarm and lights blaring the whole time. Crazy looks from pedestrians don't deter this truck: it drives perfect. It's not trying to be in reverse, it's shifting normal, it actually feels really good.

I start picking my brain- rebuilt trans has about 7,000 miles on it. Installed by outside vendor. Still under warranty. New Neutral Safety Switch installed. New reverse light switch installed. New wiring for Reverse light switch installed.

But what would cause these symptoms? Why does this truck think it is in reverse, and why does it drive forward so well if it does?

I go into my office and drink some more coffee, and decide to attack this one at a time. I figure I'll start by making sure wiring to starter is good. I turn the key on, and now the reverse lights/alarm is quiet. Still no start though.
Now I'm really perplexed.

I start chasing starter wires-
Key, good.
Ignition button. Good.
Ign relay. Good.
Starter solonoid: touch it and wire breaks off...

Apparently, I had a bad reverse light switch AND a bad connection at the starter solonoid- and transmission is fine. It's just a crazy and weird coinky dink that these two issues showed up at exactly the same time. Completely unrelated, other than they were both touched at the trans install 7,000 miles ago.

I laughed at all this as I finished my coffee. :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000