New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  05:23:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have been over this before but i dont remember i have a 2009 ic dt466 it smokes real bad at times on highway when i turn the inhibit regen button on it stops almost instantly does that mean bad doc or dpf or is it something else?

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  10:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normal operation , DO NOT inhibit regen or you will be cleaning DPFs at an abnormal rate.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  12:42:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During a regen event big clouds of smoke are not normal. By inhibiting regen you just interrupt the process. We use that method as well.

We find cracked EGR coolers, plugged EGR coolers, DOC face plugging, stuck/inop ITV's, and an occasional cracked DPF, in that order, when we dig deeper after a smoke/steam event. YMMV...
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  05:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this bus has aftermarket egr coolers recently installed had doc and dpf cleaned about year ago i just thought i heard if it starts smoking like a frieght train while driving on highway and u hit the inbit and it stops that there was a problem with doc not generating enough heat i understand it will smoke some while its regen but this thing looks like a smoke stack on a power station
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2018 :  10:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well every one of mine smoke when doing a regen , a cracked cooler wont stop smoking when you inhibit and an intake throttle valve will turn on a check engine light , so next time give us ALL the information up front.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000