DT 466 primer pump question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  12:22:45 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 04 DT 466 in a RE 300 . The other day driver complained no power so I checked the fuel filter . It looked dirty so I changed . Took bus out and nothing seemed to have changed . So I parked the bus and a couple days went to bring it in the shop and no start . Acted like it wanted to start . I checked the filter for fuel since that's what I worked on last . No fuel . Tried and re prime system and it leaked like crazy .Is this valve rebuild-able or should I replace it ?

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  1:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've never rebuilt one, and the desire too would depend on where it is leaking, or how much a new one costs. lol

off the top of my head, I'm not sure if much changed between 02-04, but my 02's (front engine,) the primer valve just unscrews. It has an o-ring at the top of the threads that could feasibly leak. I can't remember if it is a rubber o-ring, or a copper gasket.
Check that first, and go from there?

perhaps someone else has attempted this. :)
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  12:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have replaced both just the primer and the entire fuel header. Personally for the price. its only another 400 to replace the entire fuel header. It includes the primer, pressure regulator and o-rings. Worth it im my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2018 :  8:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valleybusman.

I am going to assume that the engine is an 2004 DT-466EGR motor (you need to be specific when identifying what you are working on). The Fuel primer pump is not designed to be rebuilt but you can change the "O" rings if you want to spend the time. I recommend replacing the the Primer Pump. The Primer Pump has had several design changes by International over the years and they still fail to prime over time. There are NO check valves in the Primer pump. They are located in the Filter housing and the fuel pump. Providing that the check valves are good then you got a primer issue.

The Primer Pump is easy to change but you will need to replace the seals on the fuel line from the Primer to the Fuel pump. It takes about 15 Minuets to change the primer on an RE bus and 30 or so on a FE. The time saved by changing the pump is more than worth the cost in getting frustrated trying to prime the filter housing.

Contact your nearest International dealer and I bet they have them in stock and probably under $100.00 (Stay away from the IC dealer)

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
800 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2018 :  10:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yep a 2004 and I just ordered the pump and gaskets . ran into one like this before . I just did the same thing thanks for the info !!!
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2018 :  11:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
when the strainer becomes clogged restricting fuel flow, the transfer pump creates a suction strong enough to destroy the hand primer orings.

no clue why they put transfer pump upstream of the hand primer and filter.

make sure you replace the fuel strainer located below the filter housing. i used to clean them, now just replace them.

i've seen some mechs spray em with brake/carb cleaner or even ether, which melts the nylon screen causing it to restrict fuel flow.

Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  9:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kummins

Have you tried to clean the strainer with a good degreaser? We use to replace the screens but found a degreaser from United Laboratories called "Black Gold". It cleans the screens better than brake clean, carb- clean or solvent and it will not hurt the screen and they come out good as new. There is a video on you tube showing how quick and easy to clean the screen.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2018 :  11:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 57fan

Kummins

Have you tried to clean the strainer with a good degreaser? We use to replace the screens but found a degreaser from United Laboratories called "Black Gold". It cleans the screens better than brake clean, carb- clean or solvent and it will not hurt the screen and they come out good as new. There is a video on you tube showing how quick and easy to clean the screen.

i have used a small bucket with a sealing lid, with about a pint of clean diesel, toss the screens in, close lid and swirl/shake the heck out of it.

cleans 'em pretty good in a pinch, but i usually have new ones in stock (both the puck & the tube styles)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000