SMC stop sign
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  12:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its a series 7 sign. Has the hall effect looking switch assy. When it retracts it continues to run, with clutch slipping the whole time.

Is the cam that moves through the switches adjustable? Didnt have time to tear it all down, just popped the cover off for a look see. Multi sports going on and its one of our travel busses....

I dug around for any info/operators manual with no luck.

Any help is appreciated!!!

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  1:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SMI Series 7?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

SMI Series 7?

Don't hold me to that. Just info I got off of a bus parts webpage.

http://www.schoolbuspartsco.com/WebPages/netmaximages/images/s_images/smi%207120k.jpg What I have looks like the one in the link. Is it adjustable or should I be looking for other issues?

Thanks all!!!
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  2:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the same one I was thinking of. I had the same issue a while back where the sign would just wiggle
in the stowed position and eventually burn out the motor. There is a tech bulletin (SX7-0001-00) to replace the vane on the clutch with an updated design.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  3:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

Looks like the same one I was thinking of. I had the same issue a while back where the sign would just wiggle
in the stowed position and eventually burn out the motor. There is a tech bulletin (SX7-0001-00) to replace the vane on the clutch with an updated design.

Thanks a million!!!
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2017 :  3:18:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up trying to figure them out. We have ordered the entire box and just r&r the entire thing when one messes up.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2017 :  04:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On my newer one I had to pry out the back mounting tab of the stop arm unit away from the bus body to make it stop running. This brings the cover out a little. We burned up a motor before BB dealer got us the info the stop it from continuing to run.
ED
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  07:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2015 IC.

I received my new motor/gearbox and tore back into this thing. I pulled it plumb apart as I thought my two lobe cam was out of time. It had a little play so I turned it one direction with no luck, motor still running with clutch slipping. I turned the cam on the shaft the other way with the same results. I swapped all parts to rear stop sign and they worked as it should. Rear parts in front sign and I get a running motor/slipping clutch..... Grrr!!

I'm stumped and angry at this point. The control assy has five wires that run back into the bus. What else uses the stop signs for reference?? I figure now I am chasing a bad ground or a short to ground most likely.

Do the stop signs tie into a flasher assy under the glove box or something that needs a reference to their activity??

Anyone have a wiring schematic handy??

Thanks all!!!
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2018 :  3:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check out this link for wiring info from the mfg

https://busandrail.safefleet.net/resources/technical-bulletins/

I've had a few that burned out the motors even after the vane was replaced. If you don't have a relay style flasher inside the stop sign unit itself then the five wires would be ground (white), 12v batt power (red) and + trigger (blue) and the other two would be for the lights on the blade.

I've given up on these SMI units and started replacing them with Transpec 6000 series units when they fail

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2018 :  3:27:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buster133

Check out this link for wiring info from the mfg

https://busandrail.safefleet.net/resources/technical-bulletins/

I've had a few that burned out the motors even after the vane was replaced. If you don't have a relay style flasher inside the stop sign unit itself then the five wires would be ground (white), 12v batt power (red) and + trigger (blue) and the other two would be for the lights on the blade.

I've given up on these SMI units and started replacing them with Transpec 6000 series units when they fail

Many thanks for the info and the link!! I'll dig back into this thing shortly and report my findings.

Thanks again!!!
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2018 :  04:59:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned that you should never operate these boxes without the sign bracket hooked up. If they are ran without, they won't shut off when they should, and get out of time. I guess that tab that has the big side and small side and rotates inside the module is what is referred to as the vane. If I remember correctly, the big side stays inside the magnet and the small side when it rotates stays on the outside. The big side should never be visible, if it is, I usually turn the motor by hand to put the big side back inside. If the small side gets on the inside, the sign will surge when it's closed and the motor will never kick off. I learned this when I had one not working, and I took the stop sign bracket off, put a new motor/module assembly in and didn't hook up the sign, and tried to see if it was working, and the motor just kept turning without kicking off. It got the vane out of position, and when I hooked the stop sign bracket back up, it closed and kept surging.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  09:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baptistbusman1

I learned that you should never operate these boxes without the sign bracket hooked up. If they are ran without, they won't shut off when they should, and get out of time. I guess that tab that has the big side and small side and rotates inside the module is what is referred to as the vane. If I remember correctly, the big side stays inside the magnet and the small side when it rotates stays on the outside. The big side should never be visible, if it is, I usually turn the motor by hand to put the big side back inside. If the small side gets on the inside, the sign will surge when it's closed and the motor will never kick off. I learned this when I had one not working, and I took the stop sign bracket off, put a new motor/module assembly in and didn't hook up the sign, and tried to see if it was working, and the motor just kept turning without kicking off. It got the vane out of position, and when I hooked the stop sign bracket back up, it closed and kept surging.

Nailed it!!! I assumed the silly thing could just go in circles and would time itself once the arm was installed giving it some resistance when pulled back into the body.....Not!! I matched the position of the vane in the front unit to the vane position in the rear unit then removed and reinstalled the vane module and it opened and shut as it should.

Thanks a zillion for the info!! Its my Wifey's bus so she has been on me day and night to get it repaired..... :-)

Thanks again!!!

Edited by - CISDbusman on 02/23/2018 3:13:46 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000