New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  07:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting what I find myself using my smart phone for. Just this morning I was bench bleeding a master cylinder. The instructions say to push the plunger until there is no bubbles coming from the little hole that goes into each cylinder. I cannot see down in there while I am pushing on the plunger. So, I laid my phone down over the fill hole and pushed record. lol

So, what all do you use your phone for while working on these big yellow tin cans?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  08:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just thought of something else I use the camera for. I take pictures of tags that are out of site. I also have taken a picture of imprinted numbers that I cannot read with the naked eye. I have used the edit feature to change the shading and color to bring out the numbers.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  08:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the camera all the time for part numbers, vin numbers, serial numbers, etc., also to snap pictures of broken things as needed. I have used the video camera a couple of times to record weird sounds. The flashlight is very handy. Sometimes I use my phone for looking up parts availability through Napa Pro-Link. I also use it to scan documents, invoices, etc. to PDF and save to Google Drive. I also use Google Keep a lot for making lists or quick notes. I also actually use it to make phone calls too.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  08:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dferrell

I use the camera all the time for part numbers, vin numbers, serial numbers, etc., also to snap pictures of broken things as needed. I have used the video camera a couple of times to record weird sounds. The flashlight is very handy. Sometimes I use my phone for looking up parts availability through Napa Pro-Link. I also use it to scan documents, invoices, etc. to PDF and save to Google Drive. I also use Google Keep a lot for making lists or quick notes. I also actually use it to make phone calls too.

Oh yeah, phone calls!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  10:58:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just think, 25 years ago who'd have thought combining a phone and a camera?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  11:10:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just used the camera to text my parts guy that he sent me the wrong steering gear after I discovered why I couldn't get the yoke on the input shaft. Good times...

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2017 :  12:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I take pics of wire harness all the time. I have a terrible memory so I need a pic to remind me where wires go. I am also hoping for a navistar or cummins app to check engine codes and run tests. We need a mobile cummins insite.
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  09:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

I take pics of wire harness all the time. I have a terrible memory so I need a pic to remind me where wires go. I am also hoping for a navistar or cummins app to check engine codes and run tests. We need a mobile cummins insite.

Cummins fault advisor works good for codes and engine data.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cummins.faultadvisor&hl=en
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2017 :  10:58:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who's going to put down $1K for a new iPhone X?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  06:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty much all the above.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2017 :  12:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Pretty much all the above.

Uh, not!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  06:10:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BigPapa, I read that the whole Cracker Barrel menu costs $863....Which would you spend your money on? Lol I have used my phone to take pictures of parts I need my boss to order. Also, to keep track of the air lines going into the foot brake valve when changing those.
Go to Top of Page

TMOORSE

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2017 :  11:10:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive used my phone to take pics of part numbers on the motor, then enlare to see the number.Changing out solenoids, a before and after of the wiring,and under chassis inspections doing quareterlys for the state. It makes it easy for me to show my boss, whats going on underneath in regards to repair or not repair and put the bus out to pasture.

TJR
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2017 :  9:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use mine as a phone. I actually make calls on my phone. LOL Other than that mostly for taking pictures of just about anything and everything on a bus. Some for reference and some just for the hell of it. Dont need my phone to check for codes cause thats what the lap top and scan tools are for. As for spending $1K on a iphone. Sure aint going to happen with me. I would not spend $1 on one.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use it for EVERYTHING... From pictures to internet research to calling part suppliers to pretty much everything EXCEPT personal use, it seems like!
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2017 :  5:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
among using the camera to take pics of part numbers and such, I also take pics of my laptop before clearing out codes. I'm still pretty new to the SPN # FMI# way of reading codes, so it is helping me compare from truck to truck easier to see if patterns are happening.

I also used it to take video of a warranty issue that the dealership couldn't duplicate. Video proof made it hard to dispute. :)

I had a driver take a video of a fuel leak once, and send it to me so I could see what was happening. I was able to help him fix it on the road without ever leaving my desk.

and I may or may not goof off on it playing words with friends and facebook..... ;)
Go to Top of Page

C2FAN

United States
114 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2017 :  4:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you guys seen the new Cummins Guidanz app? You can get a Bluetooth scan tool(INLINE MINI) and then use the app to wirelessly scan for codes on Cummins engines using your phone. Our Cummins rep was out here the other day doing a demo, its really cool!

Edited by - C2FAN on 09/27/2017 4:54:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000