Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Changing coolant
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
'95 BB All-American, 8.3.

"Should" I get the ambition to change my coolant, whats the most effective way to go about this? Do it all with a pump instead of gravity? I'd like to make an attempt to not have to deal with air bubbles, locks.

If I do 50/50 replacement, whats a rough guess on the amount of antifreeze I'd need?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  08:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use the pump.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  2:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you give me a quick how-to or suggest the best way to accomplish this without it being too much a hassle....when you get the time?
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thinking a little more. Wonder if doing it in 2 steps would be better. Bus heaters, then the engine. They can both be isolated.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2017 :  2:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did it just the other day. Drain and fill with the heaters shut was around 6 gallons or so. I got one of those AirLift coolant fill tool kits. Super easy and fast fill.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Donotpass

14 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  07:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Donotpass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we use a coolant fill tool. but if i don't have access to it Ive had good luck by isolating the engine and heater system, disconnect the inlet and outlet hose to the heater system, pump in freshwater, once you get fresh clean water i hook up a pump straight from the drum and run it until you see coolant. turn off the pump and reconnect each side. drain and bleed the engine normally, test drive to make sure all air is evacuated.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2017 :  09:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NAPA has the Airlift 550500HD on sale this quarter for $124.99. Their part number is SER771301
Go to Top of Page

opus

66 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2017 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit opus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
25 gallons worth....that was fun. Now I know why they make special tools to do this job.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000