New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2017 :  4:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok before I bite off more of a job than I want....can a side mount fuel tank on an IC be replaced without removing the skirt panels? Looks like we can unbolt the cage and drop it straight down but I'd like to confirm that!

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  02:32:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
--yes there really easy compared to the center mount ones imo. they just unbolt and come down not a whole lot to em.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  06:47:42 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have done a few of the rear frame mounted ones on mine, not a bad job as far as I am concerned.... Haven't had a side frame mounted tank since we got rid of our Blue birds with IH chassis buses....but those were not bad jobs either... tank should drop straight down,I always raised bus off ground on jack or hoist, so hilo forks would fit under tank and cage and give enough room to drop under skirt,
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  08:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys...I was worried for a minute!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  08:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stating the obvious here. Make sure it's mostly empty.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2017 :  11:44:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are fortunate to have an in-ground tank here, so we drain the bus fuel tank (filtered) back into the in ground tank before doing the job.

Done many between rail tanks...they need to get that aluminum or stainless option into production and service parts.
Go to Top of Page

Cody
Top Member

United States
1630 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cody's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

We are fortunate to have an in-ground tank here, so we drain the bus fuel tank (filtered) back into the in ground tank before doing the job.

Done many between rail tanks...they need to get that aluminum or stainless option into production and service parts.

I'm surprised an aluminum tank hasn't became an option in the school bus industry yet seeing as all heavy duty trucks have them. They would last a lifetime in a school bus.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  4:45:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact that it would last is probably why it isn't available. A few years ago Thomas rep said it was coming. Still waiting...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000