New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  07:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've sent buses as old as 16 years old (T444E) 100 miles out and back without a problem. And I've sent out 2016 BB 45 miles out and I get a phone call on a Saturday about an engine light on. I have yet in 15 years had to tow in an older bus from out of town (knocking on wood). Every year we send a couple of buses 100 plus miles out and every year I send older buses for those trips. Can't trust the new ones to make it there and back without an engine light coming on. It's sad but true. So, how old is too old to send one out? I say the older the better chances you have at making it back LOL.... I mean.. Am I right???
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  07:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few guys and myself recently drove a 37 year old bus with a REAL DT, 7 hours (7 hours each way) and were joking about the fact that none of us had a doubt it would make it, unlike if we had taken a new bus. Sad but true.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

150 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  08:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The drivers here get pissy when they get an "old" bus for a longer field trip and whine to the head office. I have had several conversations about sending the most appropriate bus for the trip, you know the ones that are LEAST likely to give issues.. They typically happen to be older units with out cruise so the drivers whine they act have to drive the bus. So I ask them what would they prefer, a high likelihood of a trouble free trip or cruise and a much higher chance of a break down, road side regen that drives don't know how to do and ignore until the stop engine light is flashing at them or any other warning light they don't understand pops up on the dash.....
I dont think age has anything to do with "road worthiness" If it is roadworthy, reliable and suitable to be driven on longer trips, drive it.

So here is a question, why are drivers not educated on what requires a phone call to the office vs what can just be written up when they get back? I know where I am there is a lacking of understanding and training on this sort of thing with drivers... Most of whom have engine lights on in their personal vehicles and don't care about because "it runs fine"

Edited by - exmod110 on 10/27/2017 08:43:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  09:44:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, you all and I know these facts. However, the general public (and board members/ admin) will automatically say (if you have trouble with an older bus on a trip) "why did you take that old thing when you have a new one right over there?"

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  10:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always let the mechanics decide on which buses go out of town; no questions asked. I handle any arguments that come up with the simple logic that the mechanics know which buses are in the safest, best condition for any particular trip. I've never been questioned by anyone but a driver.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  1:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Tough questions! I did replace two VT365 buses before they were due here a few years ago. Best decision I've ever made. These Maxxforce DTs aren't as bad, in my opinion. Plus, our financial outlook isn't as clear as it was when we traded the VTs. As for running a bus out of town.... Hmm, much of what we do in a public school setting is "perception". If I were to send an old bus on a trip and it breaks down all the while I had a new bus available. Uh, well, I would be drawn and quartered. However, if I sent a new (or newer) bus and it broke down... no problem, that's an issue that's on the bus manufacturer. At what age does that thought wear off? I'm not sure.

I feel you pain. I only send our buses that are still under warranty on trips that are further than 75 miles or so. I send then 6-12 year old buses to any neighboring county. My take is the ones under warranty break down, I can get a Rush dealer or Yancey dealer to come get it and fix it.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  3:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still have a 95 Chevy/BB that we still use as a activity bus. It was a 150 miles from home yesterday. I trust that thing way more than any of my newer ones!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2017 :  05:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mquiring

I still have a 95 Chevy/BB that we still use as a activity bus. It was a 150 miles from home yesterday. I trust that thing way more than any of my newer ones!

Yeah, they are a good set up aren't they? Cat in it?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  06:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still having issues with this unit. Dealer sent a guy out and he thought he had a bad wire to the dif sensor. No dice! Going back to the dealer soon. Ugh, I hope this get it, I'm pretty weary. It just gets disheartening when a 7 year old bus gives much more trouble than a 17 year old bus. Not to mention all the questions I get from drivers, admin and public. "Aren't you doing your job?" "Well, yeah, been doing it for 24 years now without this much trouble." lol, I think maybe most of this is just in my mind but it still eats on me. I want to have a reliable fleet. I take pride in that, you know. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  07:33:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bryan, didnt realize you had responded to me. Yes my 95 has a 3116 Cat in it. Never do anything but PM to that bus yet I spent 2 hours last week trying to convince the dash on my 06 Vision that it does not have air brakes and to quit looking for missing air pressure gauges! Not sure what made it start thinking that in the first place, hadn't done nothing to it, just said one morning that it was missing gauges.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  08:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those freaking Actia gauges are notorious for all of a sudden deciding that the bus has more features than it does. Don't sweat it.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2017 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

I'm still having issues with this unit. Dealer sent a guy out and he thought he had a bad wire to the dif sensor. No dice! Going back to the dealer soon. Ugh, I hope this get it, I'm pretty weary. It just gets disheartening when a 7 year old bus gives much more trouble than a 17 year old bus. Not to mention all the questions I get from drivers, admin and public. "Aren't you doing your job?" "Well, yeah, been doing it for 24 years now without this much trouble." lol, I think maybe most of this is just in my mind but it still eats on me. I want to have a reliable fleet. I take pride in that, you know. lol

That's also one of my big concerns. And it's probably not just in your head, the average person must think we have a magic wand that can overcome faulty engineering.
Go to Top of Page

underthebus

11 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2017 :  10:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit underthebus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two MaxForce 7's with intermittent "electrical fault" messages. One is a 2013, the other is a 2015 Dealer has looked at them and returned them when the light was out as repaired, only to have the problem come back the next day. I have more than 60 hours in checking wiring. Replaced the brake ecu, tcm is next.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  10:39:47 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
For what's it worth .I have been replacing my EGR coolers with ones from Bullitt diesel . More money but have not had one plug up . I replace the EGR valve same time and no more headaches
Go to Top of Page

kdjordan

1 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  06:52:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kdjordan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 2 2008 IHCs and neither one has 100k on them. These buses are always in the shop, mostly electrical problems, but there have been IPC problems, ECM problems, everything imaginable. One of them suddenly quit pulling, the "Range inhibit" light was on. We sent it to the dealer and they said it was a Neutral safety switch, but they'd have to put a rebuilt transmission in it to fix it. Well, after a transmission, TCM, wheel chair lift door switch and a supposed wiring repair, we got it back. You can imagine the bill on that one! I could write a book about the screwings we have taken from Summit Truck. Once they charge me $113.75 for a radiator hose that the local parts store had in stock for $12.87. Now days Summit is used ONLY as a last resort.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000