Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27WApQc6ro

I have been looking and reading everything I can about seat belts and other safety items for bus crashes. I still contend that we would be a better steward of our money if we could incorporate laminated side windows that were glued in like a windshield. Trying to get information on this is very difficult.

As you watch the video, notice the footage from inside a bus that encounters a side impact. They didn't say much about this but I contend that the injuries in a crash like that would be less than a roll over where a child is ejected or partially ejected. We all know seat belt compliance is going to be difficult. Some are saying as low at 10% compliance. So, why not try something passive like laminated windows?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  07:19:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At one point, someone on here talked about the compliance rate of school bus seat belts (in NY I think). Does anyone have the information on that that can be verified? I would like to gather some facts and try to rattle the tree, as it were, on this topic. I really believe if we had laminated side windows (installed properly) we could save more lives than with belts. My installation comment is to say that I don't believe that the reason the glazing is installed now is safe even with laminated. I think we are at a point in time with this much like before there was laminated front glass in a car. If you know anything about that time period in auto manufacturing, there wasn't laminated glass in the windshield and it was installed much like a windshield in a bus (I know Thomas is glued in).

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  07:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by bwest

At one point, someone on here talked about the compliance rate of school bus seat belts (in NY I think). Does anyone have the information on that that can be verified?

Anecdotal but...
I have 6 with lap/shoulder belts and for the most part, the kids just stuff the buckles under the seat. Whenever I check the belts I fully retract them neatly. Months will go by and they are still just as I left them.
Also in that PBS piece, the crash that they cited involving the girl that was interviewed said that at if there were seat belts people would at least have the option to wear it. Ill have to go back and watch again but I dont think it was a school bus that was involved in that tragedy.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing the link.

I enjoy how they keep referencing the 2006 Texas crash but don't bother to mention what "Not built to school bus standards" meant in that case, just that it resulted in a seatbelt mandate. Yeah, OK a cheap plastic bus with huge windows tips over and ejects people, so lets require that metal school buses with small windows have belts. Did they require the cheap plastic buses to have them after that?
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  08:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We only have a couple with seat belts but I would say our compliance rate is more like 50%-70%. I would say that with the elementary kids its probably around 90%. A lot depends on the driver and how much they enforce it.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dferrell

We only have a couple with seat belts but I would say our compliance rate is more like 50%-70%. I would say that with the elementary kids its probably around 90%. A lot depends on the driver and how much they enforce it.

Those are larger numbers than I thought but I still contend if there was something "passive" then you wouldn't even have to worry about compliance.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I think the national average is about 6 deaths/year as occupants of school buses, I'm not sure that there is too much more that can be done to lower that number. That number is pretty amazing to me considering how many kids are transported by school buses every day across the nation. Obviously, 0 deaths would be better but probably not a reality - especially with the human element involved. However, that number more than doubles when you factor in pedestrian deaths. It seems that our money would be better spent in that area.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  10:31:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dferrell

Since I think the national average is about 6 deaths/year as occupants of school buses, I'm not sure that there is too much more that can be done to lower that number. That number is pretty amazing to me considering how many kids are transported by school buses every day across the nation. Obviously, 0 deaths would be better but probably not a reality - especially with the human element involved. However, that number more than doubles when you factor in pedestrian deaths. It seems that our money would be better spent in that area.

I wrote a whole paragraph about this but decided I didn't want it floating about on the internet. Let's just say, I see your point but want to use the money as wisely as possible. I think that involves a devise that is passive.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000