Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Coolant testing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2017 :  11:44:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What do you guys use to test coolant for Molybdate, Nitrites etc? I have used the test strips but am not very confident in my findings.
Also do you have a schedule of hours, miles or year that you change coolant?
Do you use precharged coolant filters?
Thanks,
ED

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  09:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just use the fleetguard test strips. They seem to be accurate enough. We use the DCA-4 additive as well as the precharged filters as needed. I change the coolant filters with oil changes. As far as a schedule of how often to change it, it depends on which coolant you are using. With our fleet, I have found that most of the time the coolant will have to be drained and replaced because of needing to repair something else long before the coolant is actually bad. Our newest Cummins came with the oat coolant that's supposed to be good for 1,000,000 miles or life of the engine. There are different test strips for it because there are no SCA's in it.
Another thing I have learned is to periodically check for voltage in the coolant. This causes electrolysis and can eat things up in the cooling system - especially on the newer stuff with EGR coolers and so much electronics. It is recommended anything over .3vdc to replace the coolant.

Edited by - dferrell on 05/18/2017 1:39:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  09:35:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a service update from Bluebird about coolant:
http://westernbus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Service-Update-SU1403-Cummins-Coolant-in-Cummins-Engines-10-22-14.pdf
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  12:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At Cummins training a while back the instructor asked the class how often do you change the coolant. No one spoke up, I guess I was the only honest person in the room, I said whenever a hose blows.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  2:04:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

At Cummins training a while back the instructor asked the class how often do you change the coolant. No one spoke up, I guess I was the only honest person in the room, I said whenever a hose blows.

lol, I have only changed when I have to. Always check with the test strips in the summer. Um, wonder if I need to rethink?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000