New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  07:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this bus has been in few times for running ruff i replaced all the injectors because i had a bad one on cylinder three so i did all of them also replaced the pucks and all orings had the dpf and doc sent out for cleaning and egr valve was replaced also the coolers where replaced about a year ago with the bullet proof diesel ones so today it comes in driver complains it smokes real bad white smoke but not all the time i start it up and it shakes feels like a mis but no misfire codes i do have a code 2782 1396 and 2372 i believe they are one is dpf needing service one is egr and the other is a low fuel pressure thing is there is a new egr and i cleaned the dpf and doc so not sure y they are there i did buzz test and all buzz cant do a balance test dont have program for that any ideas

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  10:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like you could have dtcs from previous repairs or are they current would want to clear and see what returns , the 2782 is dpf service required would try to perform regen while doig so check temps inlet to doc around 600 area outlet should go over 1000 - and slightly higher I believe out of the dpf as well ---but I see you said you had them cleaned I guess that was this time the bus came in for service or previously? the low fuel pressure dtc would suggest removing the fuel filter and cleaning out the housing getting **all the junk out of the housing , numerous times this has solved my low fuel pressure on these , check the spec . the other dtc 1396 is like ya said for the egr initialization fault could be failed egr valve or wire issue but possibly just still in system you said you replaced it ? and perform an air management test if the egr cant be commanded correctly should set a dtc but like I said may be just from before possibly .
I gotta say ive noticed this too usually only for mabey a few minutes or so on these DT engines about the running rough on start and haven't had complaints on it so haven't tried to pin it down seems like I guess our drivers just accept it as normal , only thing I can guess is ive seem where the fuel housings go bad causing a really long start on these, would check your fuel pressure when this is happening and or icp .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  11:06:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i replaced the injectors and pucks i dropped the dpf to inspect it and it was full of soot so i sent both out i cleared all codes after i did all that work and the drive has had it for a few weeks and like i said he is complainin of lots of white smoke the bus starts right up and the icp is in spec it ildles ok but when u give it a little gas the engine starts to shake u give it a little more and the front of bus begins to shake it feels like a dead hole but if u drive it it has great power no lag or hasitation just a tramendous shake also it wont regen saying the bus is not at idle tried a few times the regen light is on but cant get it to regen the shake starts at 1100 rpm but almost goes away at 1400

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 05/11/2017 11:09:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  11:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
did you change the valve cover gasket/ harness I have had those go bad and run about like that

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  12:22:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i replaced those to just cleaned out fuel filter housing there was some dirt but not much again i really dont think its a miss fire now but something is vibrating at 1100/1400 rpm it has great power and excels great but it has a bad vibration on excel and again if its in park and u bring rpm up to 1100/1400 strange but also i cant get it to regen lighta are on i dropped the dpf again just to take a look at it it looks good
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  3:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ok so if i disregard that you told me the Doc and Dpf were cleaned , I would almost say your DOC is faceplugged from your complaint. Usually when this happens it will smoke Heavy ! but usually has to be driven a bit once warmed up and the bus tried to do the driving regen. I have had the same issue with it saying bus not at idle many times from what ive been told it is a software issue but dont know for sure ,
***to rule out a regen issue when it smokes when your driving switch the regen switch to **inhibit *** if the smoke stops almost immediately you have a regen issue likely a faceplugged doc. The second most likely issue ive seen would be blown egr cooler i know ya said they were new but just a quick coolant check i would do . ***it really sounds like a doc issue though to me seeing ya say the regen light keeps coming on but you cant force a sitting regen it keeps trying to do this because the system may need it but cant clean it properly . And i think there may be a direction to install the dpf may be wrong **but could ya have downstream /upstream sides to dpf backwards.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  04:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry i left out the smoke part it doesnt smoke right away it will start after a while on highway and it pours out what smoke i guess i will drop the doc ugggg will let u no but again there where cleaned few weeks ago
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  06:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea that's what Im referring too , once cruising starts is when the bus will do driving regen has to be at cruise for a bit , yea almost guarantee your doc is faceplugged, but like I would drive get it to smoke and hit the inhibit regen switch while its smoking if it goes away 100% a aftertreatment issue .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i will try that now a heater hose blew out so got run new heater lines then i will take for a ride. wait u want me to drive it then when it starts to smoke turn the inhibit switch on is that correct

Edited by - dsalinas1939 on 05/12/2017 09:05:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  02:36:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea , so when it smokes the bus is adding extra fuel to heat up catalyst and it and dpf do there thing , **so when you switch the inhibit regen button to *inhibit* this stops the bus from adding fuel for regen immediately the bus should stop smoking within couple seconds mabey. If it does quit smoking this means you have a regen issue and very likely a faceplugged doc . **the reason why yours smokes is the doc either defective or faceplugged so instead of burning the fuel to heat up cat it just goes in as raw fuel and comes out as raw fuel its not being used as the system is defective .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  04:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update finally on the shaking part i got one of the injectors to fail number 2 cylinder stops work intermittenly i checked the harness and plugs on the vavle cover gasket everything looked good so i swapped the injectors number 2 and 3 just to see if it would folllow the injector and sure enough it did i just put all six of those injectors in few months ago wouldnt have thought they would be bad iam wondering if that is cause it to also have a regen problem but i got a warrenty coming and will just have to see i never got to do the inhibit test yet but will if it continues to smoke
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  05:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have had a few bad new injectors. New and reman.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  06:08:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Have had a few bad new injectors. New and reman.

I've had my fair share of bad new/reman injectors. Nothing is more frustrating.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  08:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea we have had the same issue with new injectors as well not super common but does happen . Don't know on the injector to regen issue comparison all I know is the computer over fuell when your doing a driving regen to heat up the doc so I guess with less fuel mabey somehow contributing if in fact the doc keeps plugging or possible some other issue not related to regen system ?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2017 :  09:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okthanks for info will update when i get new injector
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2017 :  07:29:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have two buses that are killin me ok on this one i replaced the injector on number two started it up it runs better but still has a shake i didi an injector kill test all cylinders felt the same so i did a compression check using servicemaxx never did that befor but the came up as fallows 1 24-rpm 2 9-rpm 3 10- rpm 4-24 rpm 5-12 rpm 6-13rpm i did the test a few times and the results where about the same everytime does this mean cylinder 2 an 3 are bad or 2 3 5 6 ?
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  02:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong on this but the only time I use cranking compression test data is to check for a **completely dead** cylinder to me other than that think you could run in circles looking for an issue that isn't there usually I find on the awesome vt365 all the cylinders will have a reading like 40 -80 on all cylinders but cyl 1 shows nothing at all just a small bar with no reading and I know the bus is missing that's where the cranking compression test is usefull to me to verify what I already expect a completely dead cylinder . The other day I tested one and cylinders 1-5 were around 40 where cylinders 6-8 were 150 area but the engine was fine actually a new jasper . Don't know about the shaking like I said atleast for us ive seen where they run rough when cold for a few minutes runs fine after 10 mins once warm so drives haven't complained about it and haven't chased them for the issue ,
--Have you checked the fuel psi when its doing this ? is the start up a long crank ?
and one major thing ** since you keep opening up the hpo system very likely air in hpo will and can cause it to run rough have you driven it for a ***long time then re-checked it .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1324 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2017 :  10:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i took it out for a small test drive i will go again on a longer one and see if it gets better if not i will do a mechanical compression test the fuel pressure is good and it starts right up it has a hint of raw deisel fuel when idling
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000