Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2013 IH Hydraulic Brake No Pressure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

13 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  11:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, I am fighting an issue with a fantastic IH bus with the HPB system. It shows warning lamp for Brake pressure, TC, All the normal brake related fault lights on an IH hydraulic set up. Here is my point. I connected WABCO TOOLBOX to the unit and I have an active code for Pump Motor Rear missing supply voltage. my wiring from fire wall down is good. I have no power coming out from firewall so for the sake of diagnosing I cut the wire and ran it directly to battery with the 30A fuse the diagram shows. as soon as key on the pump kicks in and the fuse blows. if I go directly to power no fuse things heat up. Ok. so I am thinking I have a bad ECU/HCU according to the troubleshooting I am finding. just want to gather some feelings before I drop the bomb and order what I have heard is a very expensive part and often times fails again soon after replacement. Thank you.

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  1:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain!! I am fixing to dive back into the one I moth balled about a year ago. Sounds like a bad motor to me. IIRC you can pull the motor and not loose all the fluid. Also the motors are sold separately by a rebuilder by the name of Precision Rebuilders. part number 4430010501 Phone number is 1-800-325-2690 or www.precisionrebuilders.com

IH may offer the motor by now also??

Please post what the fix was for us poor souls that wrench on these things!!

Best of luck!!

Edited by - CISDbusman on 05/08/2017 2:05:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

13 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2017 :  1:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dude that is awesome!! Manual says motor not serviceable but I am going to call these guys see what is up. Thank you!!!
Go to Top of Page

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  08:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran into the same issue not long ago. Swapped the ECU/HCU and it solved the problem.

"Just... I dunno... Just fix it."
Go to Top of Page

n/a

13 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  09:45:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CISDbusman did you remove your motor in the chassis or did you remove the HCU from chassis? Also what happened when you removed the bolts holding the motor in place? all ii was ablel to get off is basically the motor cover and the aramature and rest of internal parts are staying inside the HCU. I'm trying to do this in the chassis.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is everything you would ever want to know about IC power brakes, except I dont think motor replacement is there :(
http://www.meritorwabco.com/ProductLiterature.aspx?product_1_id=1&product_id=18&product_level=2

Here is another system, near the end they have motor replacement, you may get an idea of what you will have to do on your system to change the motor.
http://www.meritorwabco.com/MeritorWABCO_document/MM-0677.pdf
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2017 :  11:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant remember off hand what system or what it was on, but we changed a motor a while back on was lucky, we only had to back out 1 pump to get the motor in.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  3:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joshbrust@yahoo.com

CISDbusman did you remove your motor in the chassis or did you remove the HCU from chassis? Also what happened when you removed the bolts holding the motor in place? all ii was ablel to get off is basically the motor cover and the aramature and rest of internal parts are staying inside the HCU. I'm trying to do this in the chassis.

I haven't had a motor off yet, sorry!! I just stumbled onto the rebuild motors looking for other info on the HCU. I was looking at the one I have in the shop now and it looks like a person could remove the mounting bracket near the motor needing removed and gain a little better access. My guess is you will have to remove the pump that the motor being replaced drives. If ya did that you could also remove the accumulator for that pump and have a tad more room also to get at the pump.

I have though replaced the HCU reservoir with it still mounted to the frame. Wasn't fun but it is doable. I didn't want to have to bleed everything so I gave it a shot with it mounted.

As many have mentioned these things are going to replace the old Luc*s/Gerl*ng system rants later down the road.............. For me its happening now!!! Ugh!!

Best of luck!!
Go to Top of Page

Dchandler18

5 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2017 :  3:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dchandler18's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are your pressures reading in the bottom right
corner when on Wabco toolbox? Anything under 15-1600 you have a bad motor.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000