Up Date from past post DT 466 won't start
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  09:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I just got off the phone with Jasper . I gave them some readings and said it doesn't make sense . I ran Service maxx last night to get some more readings and would like some more input These are the readings
Barametrci pressure 14.4

Boost pressure 25.9

EBP 0.0
ICP 0
ICP 624 engine speed 0

Engine speed 0

Battery 11.6

IPR control 20.2 %

Torque limit 100%

Duty cycle 65.34 %

VGT duty cycle set -512.00 %

Active 100:4

Oil pressure 26 lbs
Now these were while I was cranking the engine . The tach didn't move and the oil presssure on the gauge didn't move either . After I stopped the oil pressure stayed at 26 lbs . I then went to run the key on engine off and it started then was aborted saying the engine was running . I am starting to think I have a seriuos wire problem ? Jasper thought maybe I have a bad cam sensor ? recommended I get another and try again .

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  09:54:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a bad cam sensor will keep it from starting. The engine speed reading 0 during cranking makes me think along the lines as Jasper now. Do you have a known good one you can toss in there and see?
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  10:29:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Needs to see 130 rpm and 725 psi from the icp sensor, sounds like you lost the cam or crank sensor.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  10:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea I would agree as I was reading the info was thinking cam sensor issue , just curious you say icp-0 then icp 626 are you saying" icp" reading 0 but" icp desired" reading 624. if its building hpo and no start yea would suspect cam sensor first .
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  11:33:23 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Yep TD83 thats right ...so could I have had a bad sensor after they dynoed the engine ? Would the cam sensor give me low oil pressure code ? Something else when I unplugged a few sensors I got a code . When I plugged them in code went away . With 211 code I got the code wether or not it was plugged in ?

Edited by - valleybusman on 04/20/2017 12:05:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  12:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the value (pressure displayed on your laptop) change unplugged or plugged in.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  4:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
No it does not change . I am still scratching my head on this ?
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  02:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm the engine has never been started I take it you just installed in so likely it would or could throw low oil pressure code mabey once or so upon first crank to start is my thought but I would think your issue is not sensor related if your not building icp =0 ICP DESIRED 624 if this is your readings, I would hunch that the issue must be on the high pressure side , possibly hpo pump , ipr or something hpo , . If you didn't have a high press oil issue it should jump around 5-600 and should start your seeing nothing if in fact a cam sensor is bad "I would think" (could be wrong) hpo would be good but all that's going to happen here is the ecm will not energize the injector to open . So my guess is high pressure side since you do have 26 lbs up to oil press switch , something odd I would think about the engine speed =0 would think it should show something while cranking ?? Would check to another bus and see if its the same , if not may have some odd wire issue .
--another quick check too , check your wires at the oil pressure switch , ground -5v and vref woud want to know , and the **out of range low think could be the sensor , check and see with the sensor unplugged does it change code to out of range high .Sorry for the rambling just putting all my thoughts out there .

Edited by - td83 on 04/21/2017 02:53:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  05:50:37 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
So far I checked a sister bus and it does things a little different . When you go to start the sister bus . All the gauges and lights do their little check . Then they shut off .Cranking you can see the oil pressure come up and the tach moves . On the new engine . The gauges do their little check but the wait to start and the filter and those lights never go off no matter how long you leave the key on .Then when you crank the gauges don't move . We haven't been able to run engine at all.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sounds like you have a pinched wire, or power/ground missing somewhere
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  08:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yea sounds like a harness issue , just throwing it out there I would and ya may have already check the ecm connectors and double check the wires are on the correct posts at the starter and double check grounds , this point I think I would still swap cam sensor,its quick and easy check and check the 5v and ground at the cam sensor .
So much for an easy Friday sounds like a pain.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  08:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, had to go. Like td83 says, power and ground studs at the starter are a common place to miss connecting wires and for mixing up power and ground.
Also recheck your connectors you had undone for terminals pushed out or connectors not fully seated.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  08:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any update on what you found ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000