Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2016 blue bird steering centering
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  2:21:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a 2016 blue bird conventional nose that we have had aligned by a local tire shop brought back to our shop and test drove steering wheel is now off center brought back to tire shop they say there is no adjustment for center steering wheel it has a solid drag link. So wanting to know if there is anyway to center the steering wheel?

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  2:38:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austindnh

We have a 2016 blue bird conventional nose that we have had aligned by a local tire shop brought back to our shop and test drove steering wheel is now off center brought back to tire shop they say there is no adjustment for center steering wheel it has a solid drag link. So wanting to know if there is anyway to center the steering wheel?

they arent usually keyed to the upper shaft. pop it off and see. FYI dont know if this is happening to you but I got 3 new Thomas HDXs that were the same way. Found the bracket that mounts the steering gear to the frame rail was loose. Bolts all backed out just enough for the bracket and gear to slide back and forth.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  04:53:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we talking just a little or something like 90 or 180 degrees off?

Granted my newer Birds are transits, but I think it's the same column...the steering wheel and shaft are splined. We just pop the wheel off and move it a tooth or two as needed.
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  6:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it is off just a little bit enough to notice and driver to complain we have been thinking the same thing taking the steering wheel off and moving it at our shop just wanted to see if any other ways of doing it

think its funny our new tire shop we are using because of a new tire bid refuses to do this on this model bus still claims there is no way to center it and said that steering wheel centering is extra charge to an alignment on every bus but they will only center steering wheels on buses with adjustable drag links
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  04:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They probably can't figure out how to remove the horn button from these pieces of crap and don't want to admit it.

Just pry as freaking hard as you can and just when you expect it to break into 5 or 6 pieces it'll pop right off.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  08:48:49 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Does your Tire shop, do repairs? I assume they do since they do alignments..... seems funny they won't straighten steering wheel after alignment.

The tire shops around here won't touch anything, don't even do alignments. Just do tire changes on big trucks and equipment. If and when they strip a wheel stud changing tires either I have to go there and change it or pay for another repair service to come to their facility and do work...

They tell me it's too much liability for them to even change a wheel stud?
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  05:07:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slippert

Does your Tire shop, do repairs? I assume they do since they do alignments..... seems funny they won't straighten steering wheel after alignment.

The tire shops around here won't touch anything, don't even do alignments. Just do tire changes on big trucks and equipment. If and when they strip a wheel stud changing tires either I have to go there and change it or pay for another repair service to come to their facility and do work...

They tell me it's too much liability for them to even change a wheel stud?

In the tire bid they said they could do any work we needed them to do now that they got the bid they say they can not do any work besides tires and alignment anything extra they do is a extra money

This tire shop wont tell us when we have a striped stud we inspect all buses that come back from this shop and we have found they have striped a inner stud and left the outer stud and nut off and say it is ready to go we had one bad stud that we sent back to the shop to get fixed ended up having 6 bad studs they had to replace but if we wouldn't have been inspecting this shops work then it would of been back out on a route
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  05:55:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have found after many years that the lowest bid , is not always the best....depends on the quality of the product and service for me.. sometimes the people in upper management have very little knowledge of the differences..Making the low bid on paper seem like a great deal...

Regardless I still think straightening a steering wheel after doing an alignment would be part of the job...IMO
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2017 :  06:02:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^^^^^agree 100% It is part of the job.
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2017 :  5:52:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update brought to old shop we used before bid they were able to center steering wheel by pulling off center link and move two splines now centered and back out on route

Funny that we go to a cheaper shop and they cant do the job send back to original tire shop and they able to do a complete four wheel alignment and include centering the steering in the price
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  04:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"center link" ? On a straight axle bus?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  04:35:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they moved the pitman arm
Go to Top of Page

austindnh

23 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  12:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit austindnh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
center link going from steering gear box to steering wheel splines on both ends not keyed able to get wheels centered and take loose one end turn steering wheel to center then put back together a lot simpler then pulling steering wheel
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  12:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thinking. I've not studied a Vision enough to have some up with that plan!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000