New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i ahve this ic 6.0 died on the road cranks over and ther is only 150psi at the icp now i no there is a problem with an oil fitting breakin on the pump but just thought i would ask before i tear into it is there something else i should check or just tear into it and check fitting on pump

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does it make base engine oil pressure when cranking?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:49:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
48 psi while cranking
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  07:51:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the IDM relay on the firewall for burnt terminals. Also check the 3 infamous fuses in the battery box.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah that was fisrt thing i did while it was on the road that was all good had it towed in then i saw that there was only 150 psi at icp so i was thinking mechanical and i do no there is a fitting on the pump that breaks thats comin on the ford trucks so thats y i am leaning towards tearin it apart but just thought i would ask
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  09:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What year is it? Ford pretty well took care of the STC (Snap-To-Connect) fitting by '05-'06.

If you have access to an IDS it will help you. It's possible the sensor is bad. The STC fitting is on the back under an aluminum cover. I have seen them blow hard enough to bust that cover. In a truck, if I remember correctly, you have to pull the tranny to get to it. I take it this is in a bus, hopefully with a doghouse?
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  09:35:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are other things to check 1st before going after that fitting.
Someone recently posted a great well written procedure here, cant remember if it was under a 6.0 or 365.
Other possibilities, faulty IPR, pull it out and check the screen, sometimes it is cracked or missing, debris gets in and holds it open and relieves the pressure.
Not saying it isn't possible, but I have not seen the fitting fail for several years now, but have had several IPRs go bad.
If the screen is broke, get a new one. If it still doesnt build pressure and start, you now have a good test IPR :)
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  10:55:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds a lot like an ipr issue to me I would easily go that route first atleast in my experience with the 365s its more common of a failure and easy as well . Could be wrong but that's my first hunch Id go for .

Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  10:58:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The IPR, that's what I was going after when I said "sensor". Getting old and can't remember things like I used to. It's been 5-6 years since I messed with one.

Seems like there's also a screen in the valley for the HPOP that can get debris in it and restrict oil flow, but that's a "deep" repair, too. As torgue posted, most of the bad STC fittings have probably been dealt with by now and the later engines didn't have that issue.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  05:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i put air in the system and i heard a big leak in the pump area so i took the pump cover plate off and pump air again and there was big air leak but i could not tell where it was coming from so i used my smoke machin and found it was coming from the small holl behind the gear would that be a pressure relief valve do i need a new pump
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  11:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dsalinas1939

well i put air in the system and i heard a big leak in the pump area so i took the pump cover plate off and pump air again and there was big air leak but i could not tell where it was coming from so i used my smoke machin and found it was coming from the small holl behind the gear would that be a pressure relief valve do i need a new pump

Not yet! You must energize the IPR (to close the system) while testing for internal leaks in the high pressure oil system. If you dont energize the IPR, you will here a leak behind the gear. Dont overlook the oil tube and plug D-rings in the oil rails too.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  03:39:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dsalinas could be wrong but anytime these 365 die on the road would shoot the ipr first **they usually always fail hot and cause low icp issue , everytime in my experience ive had high press oil leaks on these they **will stay running ** just don't want to start hot but once started usually stay running at least in all the times I have seen, unless of course a major external leak like fitting blows off and oil is all over . Just saw on the first post where you said it died on the road didn't read that before . Could be wrong but that's all ive seen out of the 365 ive worked on .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2017 :  06:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i energized the ipr and i doesnt seem like its doing anything i didnt hear it click or anything so i got a new one coming then will doanother leak test thanks guys hopefully its just that ***** i took it all apart already but owell what u gonna do
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  11:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok turns out it was the ipr i took out the old one an energized it and i heard it click so i put it back in and it worked one time then i tried the to engerize it a second time it did not work got a new one and it fired right up
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  12:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6.0 issues? Sorry to hear you got it fixed. Better luck next time! ;)
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1316 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2017 :  04:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lolyeah only have two of these junks we been tryin to sell them and they are a tuff sell lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000