New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  4:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in reading this letter that one mechanic wrote to give new inspectors a more complete picture of the myriad responsibilities and ever-fluctuating and unpredictable nature of a school bus mechanic’s job. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/blogpost/sbfblog/721839/school-bus-mechanic-s-letter-to-an-inspector-shares-job-challenges

KnuckleBuster76

45 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2017 :  05:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a pretty good read. Sometimes I wish that State Patrol, upper management, the drivers, the office workers, the school staff, the students, and the parents would take the time to understand what we go through on a daily basis. I've heard numerous times "Just get it fixed!!!" Like I can snap my fingers and figure out what's wrong. We deal with pain, sometimes severe, just to get through the school year. I tore the muscle away from my shoulder (not a young as I used to be) putting in a spring pack and was asked to "work through it until June". They don't understand that just because there's no school doesn't mean we get days off. Spring Break? Perfect! I can catch up on some of the bigger jobs I've been putting off! We beg for better tools, better buses, and better pay, getting snubbed 95% of the time. In the winter, I'm the one doing the checks and getting the buses started and warm when it's -40 wind chill. I'm the one working all day and sometimes late, to make sure they're up, running, and safe for the next day. I'm not sure State Patrol understands that, when they say the buses are old and tired, it's me who catches the flak for it, not management. "Just get them fixed!!!" So, I get them fixed while they take half-days to go to their lake cabin or haul their 5th wheel campers around with the company provided trucks. I just want to spend time with my kids.

"Just... I dunno... Just fix it."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000