3126 no start issue, sometimes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  11:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pulling my hair out. This bus had injector cups put in by the dealer back in November and ever since it has had an intermittent issue where it will crank but not start. Of course the dealer cannot duplicate this issue.

Last week I connected a manual gauge to where the oil pressure sending unit goes and determined that it wasn't build low oil pressure. We dropped the pan and checked the pickup tube, no issues, removed the pressure regulators and didn't see any issues. The bus ran Friday afternoon. Wouldn't start Sunday, wouldn't start this morning. We pulled the hose off the turbo and had oil, bus still wouldn't start. Had it towed to the shop and as soon as it was off the wrecker, it started.

No engine codes according to the dealer. Any help? What am I missing.

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2017 :  2:49:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the wires on the IPR connector, assuming it's a DT. You mean not even ICP unable to build code came up? Again assuming it's a DT. I have one giving me holy right now but I won't hijack your thread. I'll start my own if I can't get it started here soon. I've been trying for 2 weeks now.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  04:20:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me correct this. It's a 3126 C-7

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  04:33:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a twin bus you can swap ECMs with? Had an ECM go bad and cause random no-starts a few years ago. Drove us nuts, then one day it wouldn't start anymore and showed faults for all 6 injectors, no faults would show up prior to the total failure.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  05:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have a twin, however I just found the bottom engine speed sensor wire if frayed and possible touching each other. I'll repair that and see what happens.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  05:57:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that isn't doing you any favors like that!
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  06:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
only do it when hot? I would suspect cut o-ring on injector. Frayed / touching wires for speed sensor can surely give you some problems also..... (update, guess I should have read first post more clearly. looks like it is not a hot start problem.)

Bruce

Edited by - sambrutay on 04/04/2017 06:04:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  06:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Let me correct this. It's a 3126 C-7

My bad, I thought 3126 was the code.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had bad cam sensors do this.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  10:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im with dferrell sounds a lot like cam sensors to me and sometimes you wont get a code replaced a number of these in our 3126's
Go to Top of Page

ReliantDiv419

3 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  3:49:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Team, I had 181 of the Thomas buses with the 3126 Cats. We started doing the injector cups ourselves and noticed a few that the drain plug on top of the head comes loose. Normal result is a no start condition. The dealer may have loosened it up to relieve oil pressure to keep the oil out of the head/injector cups during install. It may have backed out.

Check for a pipe style plug on the top of the head and also verify all injector harness are tight.

Hope you sort it out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000