Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Allison AT 545 transmission
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  06:01:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are there any At545 trans experts here that can tell me if I just blew a gasket or have major problems on AT 545. This problem came on rather sudden of an abrupt downshift and the reverse was jumpy, The we lost reverse and high gear. It acts like we lost pressure in one spot inside because 1,2,3 work OK. Back up alarm wouldn't come on unless you rev'd engine up.
I know this is vague but thinking someone might know the answer as to what is wrong. I don't do anything with trans usually so not sure where to go for diagnostics or repairs.
ED

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  6:21:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you are having trouble with your clutch #4. I don't have my manual here, as it's at my parents house in storage. I'm having to go off memory, so pardon me if I make a few errors in what I'm stating.

In order for this transmission to transmit torque, there must be 2 clutches that are engaged. Any one clutch will not transmit torque from the input to the output. There are 5 clutches-forward, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

In reverse, I think that clutch #1 and #4 are engaged. In neutral, only clutch 1 is engaged. In first gear, the forward clutch and clutch 1 are engaged. Basically, each forward gear has its own clutch that applies along with the forward clutch.

Since your troubles are in reverse and 4th, I'd very much bank on the problem being with the number 4 clutch. Now the cause is something that could be one of many things.

You could have troubles in the valve body, the clutch relay or apply piston could have issues or the clutches themselves could be worn down and slipping. Since I don't have my manual with the hydraulic schematics, it would be impossible for me to point out every possibility.

More than likely, you have internal problems that will require transmission removal and disassembly.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong or add if you have some better advice.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  03:21:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fourth clutch is the best guess. The explanation above is correct as I remember it.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  06:08:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I will probably just put in a remaned trans as I know nothing about this trans.
Ed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000