Window parts and sealant?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  08:18:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2015 I/C. Rear window in the bus that lets down, broke out the one hole in the plastic side molding/glide which let the window glass pull loose from the upper piece with the latches. I flipped the glides side to side and made new holes for the screws. I also cleaned out the black sealer in the upper piece and glued it to the glass with silicon. It amazes me that the side plastic pieces are all that hold up the weight of the glass!!! Ugh!!

Are individual pieces available for these windows? Mainly the outer glides as I feel this is going to be an issue with both busses. Are the windows made by Guardian or is that who makes the glass??

Next question. the window was sealed to the bus with a black sealant. It was still "ropey" when I removed the window assy. What should I use to reseal when I put the window back in??

Thanks all!!!

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  11:14:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC part number. 2234043C2, Fix, sliding frame

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just went through this this week myself. RonF is right on with his part number. Supposedly, IC has some kind of insert to put under the screws to "pinch" or "clamp" the plastic between it and the frame instead of just hanging on the screws. My rep is trying to find out about it. If not, I think I'll come up with something myself.

As to the sealer, I have two different part numbers that I think are just different lengths. They are 4062796C1 and 4072798C1. It seems to be about the same stuff as the cork insulation tape we use on the A/C Expansion Valves. Just sticky black stuff.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  3:05:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

IC part number. 2234043C2, Fix, sliding frame

Thank you for the part numbers. My trusted IH partsman has been out due to back surgery. Numbers have made it so much easier!!

Thanks again!!
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2017 :  3:08:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

Just went through this this week myself. RonF is right on with his part number. Supposedly, IC has some kind of insert to put under the screws to "pinch" or "clamp" the plastic between it and the frame instead of just hanging on the screws. My rep is trying to find out about it. If not, I think I'll come up with something myself.

As to the sealer, I have two different part numbers that I think are just different lengths. They are 4062796C1 and 4072798C1. It seems to be about the same stuff as the cork insulation tape we use on the A/C Expansion Valves. Just sticky black stuff.

I think the plastic slide is ok as long as the window is glued to the upper latch piece. Mine looked like it only stuck to the window glass 3 inches in from the edge. Must have been made a Monday after a long weekend......

Thanks for the info and part numbers you posted!!!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  03:13:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe IC went with a different window manufacture back in 2011 or 2012 to this design we are talking about. I must have replaced a couple of hundred of the side frames.

Here's what my rep told me 2 years ago. The next side piece is about 1/8" longer so the plastic don't crack around the bottom screw and that the seal at the top of the window is causing the plastic side frames to crack and the windows not to stay up. The fix was to cut the seal length ways to relieve pressure. that sound like hog wash to me but we tried a few and sure enough it DID NOT work.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I can tell, being that the slide is longer than the window sash, when the kids drop it or slam it open the weight of the window pulls the screws through the plastic. My thinking is a metal "washer" about 1.25" long that will fit in the slot and has holes for both screws will "clamp" the plastic between it and the frame. That should at least HELP alleviate the situation.
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

305 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2017 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

From what I can tell, being that the slide is longer than the window sash, when the kids drop it or slam it open the weight of the window pulls the screws through the plastic. My thinking is a metal "washer" about 1.25" long that will fit in the slot and has holes for both screws will "clamp" the plastic between it and the frame. That should at least HELP alleviate the situation.

After looking at the others on the bus, I to can see this being some of the problem!!

Thanks also for the part numbers mentioned above!!

Edited by - CISDbusman on 02/20/2017 2:33:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000