New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  4:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an article we thought might be of interest on changes made to ESSA and changes to McKinney-Vento that impact the transportation of homeless students: http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/article/719993/pupil-transporters-work-to-meet-changes-aimed-at-helping-more-homeless-students

Kodie
Top Member

United States
2028 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  2:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Homeless students cause my operation serious headaches. Inability to contact parents, sending buses way out for students that aren't actually going to school on that particular day, long ride times, etc. One student in particular I have boards the bus at 6:20AM for an 8:50 bell time. She is so far out of the way there is no other way for us to retrieve her without either doing it late, or super early. Now.. if I had enough drivers, this would not be an issue. I am generally doubling up or covering 5-6 routes per day with only 2 sub drivers in a 45 bus operation.

My other gripe is that many of these families are not truly homeless. They live with grandma in another town and claim homeless. Many of our students have been "homeless" for 3-4 years or more.

The addition of preschool age students concerns me simply because I do not current transport preschool age students in any capacity. We do not have the proper equipment to even do this. This will require expensive car seats, a bus aide, another small bus on the road.. and who knows what else. This is when I wonder if I'll even have enough vehicles to complete the job.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2017 :  5:58:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that for every family these laws help, there are three families who take advantage. But they are doing what the law allows; nothing we can do about it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2017 :  06:50:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

It seems that for every family these laws help, there are three families who take advantage. But they are doing what the law allows; nothing we can do about it.

Hit the nail on the head right there. It's a shame, but that is what happens.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000