New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  08:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i have this ic bus dt466 2008 it had a miss fire in cylinder three the injectors where replaces about three months ago so i took valve cover off and started it up and oil was pouring down from the injectoe puck area so i took rail off and changed the orings that go into the injector put back together fired it up and oil still pours from puch area so i took rail back off and changed the all the pucks fired it up and still oil pours out from puck area i am assuming i am doing something wrong i have done a bunch of these with no problems now this one i dont understand

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  08:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had defective injectors cause this. When installing the oil rail ensure your O rings are lubed. I use down 111 moly silicone lube. I also have a set of guide studs to ensure the rail goes on nice, even and straight.

Edited by - flint1 on 02/02/2017 08:37:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i have guide studs for it and it went on nice now is there suppose to be some oil that gets by i took one of the oil pucks apart and i see there is a spring in there is that a relief spring or is the there just to keep everything tight
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thing the spring keeps it tight, as does the oil pressure on top of the puck. It allows for slight movement and expansion and contraction. If all looks well with the rail and seals, it wouldn't be unheard of to have a defective injector.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  08:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ugggg the thing is they where not all leakin like this before i took it apart cylinder three was but now cylinder 1 and 2 are and cylinder three has a slight leak
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  08:56:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some dribbling is normal. A heavy leak is not. When first taken apart with a miss fire did you find an obvious defect with the injector puck of rings?
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  09:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no not really but again the oil was flowing out of there right now its better but one and two are bad if i hit the throttle it spraays every where
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  10:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i took it all back aart the seals look ok the injector looks fine i put one of the old pucks ontop of one of the injectors and put shop air in top and it didnt leak so not sure y it leaks when i put rail on
Go to Top of Page

CISDbusman
Advanced Member

306 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  10:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't you just love the way the "pucks" are made!! Any misalignment unseats the internals and causes a leak. Had they put an o-ring land on the poppet looking piece and sealed it to the body instead of the base it would have worked fine with a slight mis-alignment. I'm no mechanical engineer but even I can see its a horrible design!!

I snug my rail down then put the shop air to it and wiggle the rail every which way to see what helps then tighten it down. Using just shop air doesn't represent the finished repair as with oil in the rail it won't leak near as bad.

Best of luck!!
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok busman i will try that it ***** i have done lots of these and never had this problem
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i tried it with the air as i which it didnt move much but all of them leaked like a siv it held no psi i dont under stand the pucks are brand new
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2017 :  12:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok i had the weekend to step away from this job so today i took it back apart cleaned everthing made sure all seals where go as i was sure they where cause i just put new pucks on i used my guide studs i but manifold on snuged bolts wiggled the manifold around then torques bolts fired it up and they still spray oil out like crazy again the injectors where replaced about three months ago so i am finding it hard to beileve there all bad because only number three chylinder was leakin when i started any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  08:28:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had the same issue a few weeks ago no kidding and one of the injector pucks was bad along with a o ring when I went to install valve cover off I kept thinking there was an issue
****note it is normal for there to be a considerable amount of oil draining down remember these don't have the drian spouts so it comes out of the top ...mine ended up being no problem just me second guessing if there was ****what I would do valve cover off get engine HOT and if starts up your fine no problem ,,,and when I tell ya I had the same issue trust me I thought the same thing like theres no way that's right even at times it will look as if one injector is draining more but this is normal
****I took mine apart several times as well , when you get it hot if one is leaking it will not start 99% of the time and if it doesn't you will definitely see the difference between a normal drain and bad puck hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  10:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah this thing is driven me crazy they do leak alot but number one sprays outalot the others lek out but not as bad i will try replacing number one puck and let it warm up and see what happens like i said i have done alot of these but never tried starting it with valve cover off once i replaced all the pucks u usually put it all together fire it up let it warm up and its good this one i just desided let me double check and man i cant believe how bad the leak out
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
True yes and I was gonna say usually number one was the one I thought I was having an issue with as well no joke I came to the conclusion it has something to do with where it is. But yes I would consider it a lot but like I said if you get it warm 175 or so on these and it starts your fine . I did 466 injectors as well a few weeks later and started valve cover off they kinda looked the same and the injectors on the ends 1 and 6 to me seemed to be leaking the most oil . You may very well have a bad puck but your issue described was mine word for word actually about 1 month ago now . But start it up let it run 10 15 min see if it changes as well I noticed at first it seems at times to pour out like crazy compared to other but would eventually kinda even out .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  10:21:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok kewl will do have to put back together again thanks for the info will let u know how everything works out
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:44:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i put it all together let it warm up and it starts right up but now i think i got a sticky injector cause it smokes like a frieght train and it has a slight miss uggggg
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:48:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well i let it cool down and just fired it up again and its not smokin this bus is killen me
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  12:48:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
dsalinas not sure if im understanding are you still having issues with the bus , you say its not smoking ?? And does it have a miss because i dont see where this was repaired you said they were replaced 3 months ago right the injectors and at this point you dont have a high pressure leak if it starts hot .

Edited by - td83 on 02/08/2017 12:51:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  06:10:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok this is what happened i replaced all injectors and the seals on the pucks but not the pucks three month
s ago it came int the other day with a miss in cylinder number three i took off the valve cover and started it up and i saw alot of leakage from puck on cylinder number three so i took it apart thinking i must have tore a seal when i instaled them the first time when i got it apart the seals looked good so i resealed anyway and when i started it all the injector pucks where sprayin oil out so i took apart and put new pucks and still they sprayed oil o
ut so i took apart cleaned and checked everything and everything looked good thats when u said u had same problem so when i put back together after i read that started it up it ran fine but smoked real bad like a hung injector i shut it down let it sit and fired it up again and it stopped smokin had big snow storm yesturday so havent had chance to check it again
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  07:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had a chance to takeit out for a ride it starts right up has good power it smoked for a while then cleared out and is ok now but it does have a slight super slight i guess u could call it a stumble only noticeable if your lookin for it at idle but i will take it out again and see how it is but it runs great now just cant believe that muchoil comes from the tops of the injectors
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  08:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I re-read the original post. I've never ran a dt with the valve cover off. I disconnect the injector connectors and Crank looking for excessive leak. Dribble is fine, spraying is not. I would think that oil leaking heavily while running would be normal as the oil is exhausted after firing the injector. I replace the pucks every time I have the rail off. Too much work to do this again and again.
Go to Top of Page

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  08:54:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I do injectors I just go ahead and install new pucks there not that expensive the only thing is you need a special tool but never had a comeback sense.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  12:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah i have the tool to do it u have changed the pucks in past but i had a set of orings so i figured i would use them this one time but i am guessin what i was thinging was a problem is normal which again seems strange but i no now lol
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2017 :  10:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes dsalinas I went through the same thing as I told ya , told the foreman what was going on and he was like man ive never had that much of an issue out of em , little did I know at the time I was trying to fix something that wasn't broke and running in circles pulling my hair out , wasn't until the tech beside me was like chill , get it hot hot if starts your good as I knew this but just couldn't fathom that much oil was normal oh well lesson well learned Sh*#@t happens I guess .
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2017 :  04:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well thank u so much for that info cause its running good and yes i pulled all my hair out to on this one lol learned a hard lesson on this one again thank u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000