New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2017 :  10:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody ever seen what the inside of the T444E high pressure oil reservoir looks like? I understand the general concept of how the entire oil system works, but was unsure of how the reservoir actually functions. My service manual does not describe how the oil level is controlled/maintained.

I know that it's fed at startup from a passage directly off the oil pump and feeds of the left lifter gallery once engine oil pressure is established. Is there a spillway inside that allows oil to overflow back to down the front case or is there a float mechanism that maintains a specific level?

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  09:03:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oil feed to the HP pump reservoir has a check valve to keep the oil in the reservoir when the engine is off. The only way out for the oil is what the HP pump uses. The reservoir is under base oil pressure, the sending unit for the oil pressure in in the top of the reservoir.
The reservoir is continually fed oil from the base oil pump when the engine is running. The purpose of the reservoir is to hold oil to feed the HP pump at start up so it wont run dry before oil pressure is built up.
Hope that helps?
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2017 :  5:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glen, thank you so much for your reply! I was unaware that the tank was pressurized.

Does the filling tube(s) come out towards the top? From the limited illustrations I have seen, it would appear so. I would imagine this would stop the tank from draining down too much, but I suppose a check valve keeps it all the way full.

My other question relies in the specific mechanics of the whole thing. If the purpose of the tank is to provide continuous oil to the hpop, then the level in the tank would need to vary up and down. If the level of oil drops on initial startup, there must be a one way air vent valve to allow air in or the tank would quickly be in a vacuum and the hpop would be starved. Along the same lines...to fill the reservoir back up (after initial starting) would require a way for the air to bleed out. Are there one way bleeders/vent valves built into the reservoir? I realize that the level probably doesn't change much during normal operations as oil pressure is fairly quickly established, but I'm just trying ot understand the full mechanics of how this system operates.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  04:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The engine oil pressure gauge is connected to the top of the reservoir, the volume of oil supplied by the lube pump must be enough to keep reservoir full and pressurized.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  09:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure there is no bleeder for air. (someone correct me if I am wrong)The HP pump moves more oil than it needs, returning unused oil to the front cover where it drains back into the pan. Any air would move through the pump, possibly entering the HP rail, and would give you a stumble or miss a bit if not too much or would stall if too much air entered the system. But normally you would not have a problem.
When this engine first came out, the International course I took said to be prepared in colder weather, the reservoir could drain as oil thicker and taking longer to replenish. I never had this problem with any of our T444E's but did have a few DT466E's that had the problem of draining the oil in the reservoir before it could replenish once it dropped to -30*C. Some mechanics just keep rolling it over until it starts but I found it was quicker to pull the oil temp sending unit out and fill it with oil, usually a couple of times. Sorry, off topic :) Once you do understand it, it is a pretty simple system.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2017 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all this input. This is all very interesting to me. I really have an appetite for mechanical knowledge and understanding exactly how they work and WHY they work. I understand how the HEUI system functions and why it works. I think it is interesting how the injection pressure was varied for different rpms and loading conditions. Apparently 21,000 psi was not ideal at idle conditions or it would have used full pressure under all conditions.

As far as the pump, I do realize that the IPR controls the injecton control pressure by varying the amount of bypass of high pressure oil back to the crankcase. I was not aware that that the high pressure pump had a bypass loop. I wonder what the purpose of this bypass is? To help get rid of air pockets?

Another question regarding the pump... is the HPOP a swash plate plunger style pump? If it's a swash plate, does it have variable displacement capabilities? Is the bypass a fixed orifice or pressure regulating style? Or are you guys gonna tell me to call the head T444E engineer from International? :D

Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  11:40:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fixed swash plate, IPR does all.
If I remember correctly, there were some animations of this systems somewhere online? If I come across it will post link here.
Would be good to find especially if you are going to ask questions on the injectors LOL. I understand how they work, but not the best at story telling as fingers cant keep up with the mind :)

When you read up on the injectors, you will see why the pressure of the oil needs to vary.
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2017 :  5:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all this input Glen! I did a little reading and apparently there were multiple swash plate angles available depending on which version of the engine you had.

I did some reading, but have not yet found WHY the pressure varies, only that it does vary as commanded by the engine computer. You would think higher pressures would give you the best atomization in all situations, but that must not be the case. One idea might revolve around timing (or maybe I'm completely off-base here). At high loads and high rpms, higher pressures might allow for getting more fuel out at a faster rate. At high rpms and full throttle, you would want that injection to occur quickly to allow for more burn time. Although I know on the later models there were actually 2 shots, but that's another matter.

If you find any information, let me know. Thanks again for all your input.

Jonathan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000