New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  6:11:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been studying the T444E as I've thought about buying a bus with this engine (and just because I find diesels so interesting).

Forgive me if this question has been directly asked, but I could not find it in the forums. There is one post regarding fuel filter change procedures for the VT365, but I couldn't find one for the T444E.

I know that there is a cam operated mechanical lift pump (as opposed to the electric pumps on the Ford Powerstroke engines) and there is no hand primer pump. So it's impossible to prime the fuel filter housing without cranking the engine or pouring in fuel.

Removing the old filter would allow dirty fuel to contaminate the filtered fuel. The fuel can be drained, but there is no good way to prime the housing. Pouring in new fuel can be bad if you cannot ascertain it's totally clean fuel. This could also stir up debris at the bottom of the housing. I don't think that it's possible to pour in fuel with the filter already place?

How did everybody else change the filters on this engine? Does international have an official recommendation on this procedure? I have a service manual, but not an operators manual. The service manual says little about changing the filter other than to fill the housing if the entire fuel system had been drained.

Thanks for any input!

Jonathan

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  04:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had T444's for 10 years, 42 of them in the last district I worked in. I don't recall ever looking at the official procedures, but Drain the filter house, remove the filter, wipe it clean, clean the rock screen, install the new filter and crank it up. It's a self priming system.

I now have a fleet of VT365's. If I could I would gladly take T444's.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  04:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
---Yea we have a ton in our fleet as well they are self priming like ron said ive never had an issue after replacing fuel filters just cranks right up runs fine . As far as the filter changed we usually clean out the filer housing during replacement using a fluid evac tool . Once you see how dirty the bottom of the bowl can get any extremely tiny particles from changing the filter are a drop in the bucket compared to this, but of course don't set your new filter on a dirty work surface or be extremely careless when changing the filters and ya shouldn't have an issue.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  06:11:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stand pipe should keep the "dirty" fuel that has gone through the strainer screen from contaminating the clean fuel.
I never saw the need on any of ours to even drain the housing, just unscrewed the cap, slowly lifted out filter and slowly inserted the new one as outlined in the directions that came with the name brand filters.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  10:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no mention in the operator manual other than replacing the filter.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  6:01:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all very helpful input and nice to know. It would appear I can change the filter or drain the bowl if it makes me feel better, but the exact procedure doesn't seem to be that critical. I didn't realize that the engine did so well at self-priming. My service manual does show that the filter housing has an air bleeder of some sort that vents the air back into the fuel return line (once the engine starts and the pump is pressurizing).

My parent's RV has an ISL with a unique type of filter (probably standard on most Cummins engines). When you remove the filter, no mess at all. Before you put the new one in, you fill it from the outside holes in the filter. It comes with a little plastic cap to keep fuel from going into the center hole, which is the clean side of the filter. This makes sure 100% of fuel going to the injectors is filtered...a very smart idea. You don't make a mess having to drain a bowl or using a hand primer pump and squirting out a fuel/air mixture. Is this how the ISBs on all newer buses work? I have no experience with newer buses as the newest bus we have had until about a year or two ago was a 1990. We recently got a 2008 BB Vision with a C7. We are still running an International 9.0 (84), a Ford 6.6 and GMC 8.2 Detroit (both a 90). When's the last time you guys saw one of those? :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000