Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 BB All American air doors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  05:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else had trouble with their air doors not wanting to open during COLD weather. We have had issues with the late model FE all Americans 2013 and newer.It's -3 degrees this morning.
Thanks,
Ed

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  08:34:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have an 09 All American RE that will do the same thing, We were -13 this morning and I had to let it run for about 10 mins before it would work right. I have found that leaving it under pressure over night by not flipping the valve to close them by hand helps, I know thats not always possible though unless you like crawling in and out the emergency door. I am having trouble with mine wanting to slam in the wind on the interstate. On yours can you force it open at all by hand when its closed?
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  08:36:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turn the air pressure up to the door to keep it from slamming.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  10:21:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the regulator built in to the valve on the cylinder? I followed the air line trying to find a separate regulator and couldn't find one. I finally put a gauge in the line and have 110 psi at the valve.
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  12:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The door cylinders on ours has an adjusting knob (gray) on the control valve. I adjusted them down earlier because the door was slamming shut. The new 2018 on it's second trip would not open this AM route. After a couple of times it worked the rest of the route.

Why would we turn the air pressure up to keep it from slamming?
ED
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2017 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
usually you would increase the regulated pressure to make the door close tight to keep the wind from pulling on the door while moving down the road,
do your BB door cylinders also have the parker solenoid valves? if so you should see a small threaded shaft with a nut on each valve. looks like the adjustment on an air governor just smaller. this adjusts the speed at which the air is applied to each side of the cylinder. with this you could have high pressure to keep the door tight and take several seconds to close the door.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2017 :  10:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought you meant it was opening slightly and slamming shut going down the road.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000