Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 BB propane/gas transmission
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  08:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I test drove a new BB gas bus last week and curious about the shift setup on the ford transmission. It was a windy day and at 60 mph it seemed like it couldn't decide if it wanted to stay in overdrive or not. I stopped and pulled the shifter down one position to see if that would lock it out of overdrive but that seemed to lock it in 3rd gear, it didn't even want to pull away from a stop. Is there a way to lock these transmissions out of overdrive?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2017 :  11:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an "econ" button that will change the shift points. That might be what's going on.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  04:49:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can have the transmissions recalibrated if shift points are an issue also if the rear diff is geared on the high side they shift a bit off we have had our transmissions reprogramed so far so good

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  06:47:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. I guess I didnt even look for an econ switch. What gear ratio are you running on yours?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  08:23:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had one for a week to test drive, I was impressed. Next up is the IC gasser when one is available.
I didn't notice any shifting problems, but the bus was unloaded.
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  11:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I checked on the bus that I looked at and it was 5.29 also. I'm probably overthinking this all and I'm sure that it wouldn't be a problem. One difference between what I demoed and what I'd buy is the demo bus was a fully loaded 72 pass where if I bought one it would be a pretty basic little 47 pass to be used just for rural routes. With the cold snap we have this week, it's sure making gas or propane awful attractive with not having to think about blended fuel, additives, or if the block heater is working!
Go to Top of Page

allamericandriver

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  7:44:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit allamericandriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Econ mode button is only on the push button Allison 3000 series, which is not an option with propane or gas. Just get hand shift is all you get!
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  10:30:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by allamericandriver

The Econ mode button is only on the push button Allison 3000 series, which is not an option with propane or gas. Just get hand shift is all you get!

All of my 2500's have an econ button on the dash. From about 2004 to the present.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2017 :  2:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mquiring

With the cold snap we have this week, it's sure making gas or propane awful attractive with not having to think about blended fuel, additives, or if the block heater is working!

True that!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000