New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  07:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know about this? I'm wondering what kind of technology they used and if it's working or not.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/2016/01/signed-into-law-school-buses-in-nj-will-now-require-sensors.html

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  1:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well new jersey is the worst state for laws but to answer your question they passed a bill with no idea of what they want or details of the sensor system they are still lookin at ideas of what they want but nothing is set in stone we set up a bus with a camera system on all for corners and took it to them as a demo and no respone if they liked it but as of now we have no buse with this system and they are not inforcing law cause there is no details out of what they want again new jersey law makers have no clue so i am figuring maybe in a year or to they will figure it out
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2016 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if you follow my posts you know how I feel about over-legislation (if that's a word). You answered my question. I understand the concept but I wondered how on earth it could be done. Even if they do figure out something, you guys are going to have your hands full keeping it up and running. I guess if there's a bright side here it's that you don't have to retrofit your old ones. A,s we talked about in another post, there is no substitute for a good driver! I happen to have the best team that I've ever had, at this point in time.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  05:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what ever they come up with i no its gonna be a nightmare and u are correct if the drivers where trained and PAID ATTENTION there would be no need for this but the government always as to react and make a law before they think about it first
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  10:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think many times new legislation is brought in to comfort the people in power at the time and for the families of the lost one(s).
Many people just feel they "have to do something"

I like what I heard from NASA a while back, "if you don't KNOW what to do, do nothing"
At first I didn't make sense of that but after thinking about it, it makes perfect sense, you can sometimes do more harm that good by just doing, trying something.

My experience with this type of sensors, my F150 back up sensors are prone to false alarms from heavy dirt, snow and ice. I believe they use ultrasonic type sensors.

My experience with radar type sensors, was on garbage trucks equipped with an automatic brake system when reversing. They too would act up with snow ice and heavy dirt.
Also once drivers got used these trucks for a while, they relied on the system to stop them when backing up to something. Then when they drove another truck without them, Hmmmmmm, yup they backed up into things :)

I can see a problem in my mind already, there will likely be some places where a driver always get a false alarm and ignore the warning, then one day ...................
And drivers use to the system, then drive an older bus without it.
There is NO substitution for paying attention.
Go to Top of Page

BusFleet

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  10:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Rostra sensors on all of our buses. Do they work, yes. Do many drivers report back if one or more zones are flashing, hardly ever. IMOP, they are a pain, very small wires dangling underneath the vehicle.....never good. I know Rosco Mirror Systems has developed a 360 degree camera system. They stitch the video together in order for the driver to see completely around the bus. The image appears in the rear view mirror. It's new so I'm waiting for some feedback.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1323 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2016 :  12:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we installed our own video system that views every area of the bus it activates when the reds are turned on and it stays on 20 seconds after the reds go out we have a i believe its a 8 or 10 in monitor mounted just below and to right of radio on a C2 so its not in your way but easy to see it works very well but i am sure the state will not approve that
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  09:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drivers, drivers, drivers,.... pay them and train them. Stop wasting money on nonsense.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  09:50:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFleet

We use Rostra sensors on all of our buses. Do they work, yes. Do many drivers report back if one or more zones are flashing, hardly ever. IMOP, they are a pain, very small wires dangling underneath the vehicle.....never good. I know Rosco Mirror Systems has developed a 360 degree camera system. They stitch the video together in order for the driver to see completely around the bus. The image appears in the rear view mirror. It's new so I'm waiting for some feedback.

So, I looked this company up and their products. What are you using? Are they making something for you or are you adapting what they have to your application. The price doesn't seem too bad.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BusFleet

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2016 :  11:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

[quote]Originally posted by BusFleet

I don't know the kit number but it consists of a controller, monitor and several sensors. The controller part number is 250-2577 and the sensor part number is 250-2578.

So, I looked this company up and their products. What are you using? Are they making something for you or are you adapting what they have to your application. The price doesn't seem too bad.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2016 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BusFleet

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

[quote]Originally posted by BusFleet

I don't know the kit number but it consists of a controller, monitor and several sensors. The controller part number is 250-2577 and the sensor part number is 250-2578.

OK, So you're piecing it together. That works. How long have they been in service and what kind of trouble are you having?

I do agree that drivers need paid and trained better. However, part of my job is to know what's going on in the industry so I can have some knowledge when the super or board asks me. Thus me questions.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2016 :  4:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once you make something idiot proof, a new improved idiot shows up.

Driver training is the key to student safety. No matter what else you do, you must train the drivers of the importance of the responsibility that is on their shoulders and that no one else has more than they do. Not in any school system that I know of, anyway.

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2016 :  06:46:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BJ Henderson

Once you make something idiot proof, a new improved idiot shows up.

LOL!! One of the best quotes I've heard in a long time. A little cynical but, truth is truth! I imagined a politician showing up when I read that! lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000