Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Boost pump re engine school bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2016 :  10:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My question is are these pumps worth the money to replace? Talking about the heater boost pumps on re engines of IC and BB school buses. Gets cold here in winter teens and twenties in morning. But these pumps do not seem to last long before leaking. Any advice?

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  02:57:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keeping in mind that mine are FE's and not RE's...we just take them out and bypass them when they fail. In fact I think all are gone now except the new CE's that just showed up with them (I didn't spec it).

We remove switches and install blanks, otherwise the inspector gets twitchy when he comes around.

You might pick a bus and bypass the pump for an experiment to be sure the pushers are OK with out them. Let us know!

Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  04:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like Thomasbus24 said "bypass". You'll never have to worry about it again. We left the switches in so the drivers wouldn't freak out. They don't know the difference anyways if its on or not LOL.
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  05:09:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got an 09 BB RE with a C7 that has never had one and that bus makes better heat upfront than most of my Visions.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  05:43:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we remove them when they fail and bypass them one less place to leak

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  07:15:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks for all the advice.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  08:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I remove mine when they fail. Has to be the same as a conventional. I have all conventionals so I'm not entirely sure but should be. The company that makes these boosters are getting pretty testy on warranty too. The last time I tried to replace one was last year. Did it twice and both leaked. They told me I wasn't bleeding it correctly. I said, "I've been working on buses for over 22 years and you're telling me that I'm not bleeding a cooling system correctly? Let me tell you something, I won't be purchasing your product any longer". I just don't understand. The same company made the booster pumps on buses that I have that are 15 years old and they've never had a pump put on them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  09:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was that Groco or Bergstrom?

TAC is parading around a new pump... http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1607

Too much money for something I can replace with a $1.00 hose barb coupler!
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  10:11:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, rip them out and bypass.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  11:48:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in the south, so they are useless to us anyway. Once they leak they are gone.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  11:57:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

Like Thomasbus24 said "bypass". You'll never have to worry about it again. We left the switches in so the drivers wouldn't freak out. They don't know the difference anyways if its on or not LOL.

I have one driver that seems to "hear" the motor, so when it leaked, I bypassed it but left the motor hang on the firewall so she would think it was actually warmer in her bus
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2016 :  2:40:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by earl1412

quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

I have one driver that seems to "hear" the motor, so when it leaked, I bypassed it but left the motor hang on the firewall so she would think it was actually warmer in her bus

That's GENIUS LOL I might start doing that.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  05:30:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's awesome!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2016 :  05:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My God that is so perfectly evil!!!!!! Great job and thanks for sharing!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000