New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  05:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I guess I'm having driver seat problems, lol. So, this thing is broken down much like the Blue Bird Seat I was talking about on another thread. The reason I started another thread is because if you guys are like me, sometimes I don't come back to a thread if I don't know a thing about it and I wanted to catch the IC guys on this. Anyway, the BB seat foam is like 54 bucks and this IC seat foam is over $350! Any ideas out there for me?

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  05:52:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seat foam by itself is $350? You can buy a whole seat for that.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  06:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Are the spring wires underneath the foam cutting into the foam allowing it to sink down? This has been the situation in my pickup. I took it apart and put a thin piece of carpet between the spring wires and the foam.

If the foam is breaking down, a denser foam would be the fix. It cuts easily into shape with an electric knife.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  10:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which seat? National, Bostrom, CE White? Doesn't matter, that's too much...don't buy from IC, buy aftermarket. Tacbusparts.com is my friend.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  10:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tacbusparts.com/index.asp

Definitely call TAC

Set up an account and you can order online.

Edited by - second.flood on 11/08/2016 10:55:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2016 :  10:56:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also check out www.suburbanseats.com I've ordered a few National 2000 series cushions from them for around $108 each, complete with the bottom frame and cushion cover.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  04:23:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1494 Featured driver seat foam, they likely have others in stock
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  05:18:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help, everyone! I am going to dig into this today.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, digging in is what's happening! I called a company called Creative Bus Sales because their site came up when I put a part number in off of the seat. I got a price in the 50 dollar range from them but they couldn't tell me a shipping amount. Said it could be as much as 250 bucks. Uh, no, not going there. However, after thinking about this and getting a revised price from our IC dealer, MidWest, ($195, still high in my opinion) I decided to look into getting an entire seat that is non-air ride. So called MidWest back and they are working on it. In the meantime, someone gave Jim the parts manager a heads up that I was talking about it on here and he called me. I must say, THAT is service! Time will tell. I'll keep you all posted.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  11:18:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, digging in is what's happening! I called a company called Creative Bus Sales because their site came up when I put a part number in off of the seat. I got a price in the 50 dollar range from them but they couldn't tell me a shipping amount. Said it could be as much as 250 bucks. Uh, no, not going there. However, after thinking about this and getting a revised price from our IC dealer, MidWest, ($195, still high in my opinion) I decided to look into getting an entire seat that is non-air ride. So called MidWest back and they are working on it. In the meantime, someone gave Jim the parts manager a heads up that I was talking about it on here and he called me. I must say, THAT is service! Time will tell. I'll keep you all posted.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2016 :  8:31:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been replacing the Seat bottoms on our National Air ride seats on our 05 IC buses. The bottoms are running around $205.00 each. Yes I think its expensive but the drivers have been noticing a big difference. We have found that the seat bottom frames are breaking as well as the seat covers are cracking. IC said I could buy just the Foam for $150.00 plus. Makes no sense to me when I can get the entire seat bottom for $50.00 more. 5 Screws later and its changed out.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  04:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 57fan

We have been replacing the Seat bottoms on our National Air ride seats on our 05 IC buses. The bottoms are running around $205.00 each. Yes I think its expensive but the drivers have been noticing a big difference. We have found that the seat bottom frames are breaking as well as the seat covers are cracking. IC said I could buy just the Foam for $150.00 plus. Makes no sense to me when I can get the entire seat bottom for $50.00 more. 5 Screws later and its changed out.

Where are you buying them?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  04:10:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by bwest
I decided to look into getting an entire seat that is non-air ride.

Be prepared to change the floor mounts, I've installed a few standard seats in place of air seats and could not find a drop in, mounts to the floor differently, and has different seat belt mounts.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  05:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

quote:

Be prepared to change the floor mounts, I've installed a few standard seats in place of air seats and could not find a drop in, mounts to the floor differently, and has different seat belt mounts.

So, how can you be sure that you are doing this modification with the blessings of the manufacturer and therefore keeping your behind out of trouble?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  06:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

quote:

So, how can you be sure that you are doing this modification with the blessings of the manufacturer and therefore keeping your behind out of trouble?

I didn't say you "should" do it, I said be prepared. At least that was my experience. Your actual results may differ .
I would never advise a mechanic on how to approach a change like that, especially in another state.

Edited by - second.flood on 11/10/2016 06:36:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  10:15:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AH!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  1:15:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ill post my 2 cents here as well. We have alot of 05 IC and find that most of the time all we need to do is show the driver how to adjust them properly. The bottom seat can be moved forward a few inches and many people, myself included find this much better.

We did have a seat that needed replaced and we got a complete replacement from the international dealer. it is a very nice but not cheap air ride seat. myself and the driver highly recommend it.

Seats Inc. M100
http://www.seatsinc.com/index.php/seat-models/school-bus-seating
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  05:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

Ill post my 2 cents here as well. We have alot of 05 IC and find that most of the time all we need to do is show the driver how to adjust them properly. The bottom seat can be moved forward a few inches and many people, myself included find this much better.

We did have a seat that needed replaced and we got a complete replacement from the international dealer. it is a very nice but not cheap air ride seat. myself and the driver highly recommend it.

Seats Inc. M100
http://www.seatsinc.com/index.php/seat-models/school-bus-seating

Wow, that's nice! So, can you use the seatbelt that came with the bus? If so, this will save money over what my dealer is looking at. Still working with them as well. I'll get something that will satisfy the driver and my budget soon I'm sure. Thanks for posting!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  06:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a nice seat. I've seen several AmTran/IC buses at auction with that. Be sure to check out the video too.

Caution for those considering: Verify it'll fit before ordering. Seat base width is 13.5" (according to video) and that would be a problem on some buses. Several of my FE birds have heater components that would be in the way. We learned this last year when trying to replace a seat with a nicer model.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2016 :  11:26:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
when i ordered from international they had many different part numbers for each bus and seat style. they can get them for older/new internationals, bluebird, thomas, and in both material and all colors. it is built on order and took 1-2 weeks to get in.

So just call with the year and model bus, interior color desired and which material desired.

For seat belt my seat came with the side bolts for the seat belts. on the older style. (we are getting one for a 2003 international) it comes with new floor mounts.

Edited by - bfaulkner on 11/14/2016 11:27:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  06:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bfaulkner

when i ordered from international they had many different part numbers for each bus and seat style. they can get them for older/new internationals, bluebird, thomas, and in both material and all colors. it is built on order and took 1-2 weeks to get in.

So just call with the year and model bus, interior color desired and which material desired.

For seat belt my seat came with the side bolts for the seat belts. on the older style. (we are getting one for a 2003 international) it comes with new floor mounts.

So, you think they mount in the same place on the floor?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  07:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, well I got one ordered! I am really impressed with this thing by watching the video. Thanks bfaulkner!! The price was actually a few dollars cheaper than what my dealer was pricing me for a plain, non suspension pedestal seat! Thanks for all the help guys. Including my dealer MidWest Transit! I must say those guys went to bat for me and tried! Not ordering this from them but am definitely more enthused about them!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea the ETA on your new seat? We're talking about spec'ing it on the next 2 IC's.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2016 :  09:24:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least a couple weeks from right now. I'll let you know what I think.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  04:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a direct replacement? Bolt in?

I just had a Bostrum break the shock mount from the seat frame.

Edited by - second.flood on 11/22/2016 06:05:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2016 :  05:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is it a direct replacement? Bolt in?

I just had a Bostrum brake the shock mount from the seat frame.

It is suppose to bolt right in, even has the seatbelt mounts like my original. They ask the year and brand of bus when I called. I know the site said there is a mounting base intended for Blue Bird as well. I don't recall about Thomas.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.35 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000