2017 ICs Are Lemons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  5:35:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two months ago we received six 2017 IC CE'S. When they arrived one of them had a check engine light on(Sales guy said it was low on DEF)It had 1/4 tank. Fast forward to now and four are on along with the triangle light. Then the first week into the school year early September we had noticed a lot of windows not latching (I know all ICs do this). But upon further investigation we find screws falling out of the top window sash not letting the window latch. Called the dealer about it and they don't want to fix them. Yesterday afternoon a driver pulled around and said there was no trans fluid on the stick so I filled it up. Today in the morning another driver pulls up says gears are grinding it sounded horrible just sitting in gear. pulled out the stick and nothing put about Three quarts in and sounds/runs fine so far.

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2016 :  6:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trans fluid doesn't just evaporate... find the leak.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

LTHS

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  03:58:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2017 IC buses just came out with a recall or authorized field change interim action slip
one of the mechanics told me at my dealer the other day i got 6 this year and 4 of them have
engine lights on but run fine.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  04:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our 2016s have had tons of issues with CELs coming on. Most popular code is 3375, regen too frequent. We just got one back that spent nearly 2 months at the dealer. They have replaced so many components, it's not even funny. I think this is more of a Cummins issue than an IC issue, but they are the dealer and it is their bus, so they are at the forefront of our anger. Same issues with windows, ours also have switches that don't sit right in the panels, and there appears to be just an overall lack of quality control. That being said, I don't think it is just them. Last Blue Birds we bought were riddled with problems as well.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:09:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you seeing 3364-11 codes? Its a BS code about DEF quality and a fix just come out from Cummins on that...you dealer should have the kit to correct them in the near future. It involves a reflash via the sesnor's plug.

My 2 2017's have been pretty good. The one issue I had, the dealer fixed it same day. True no matter what you buy...dealer makes or breaks the relationship. All three big players have poor QC nowadays.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We got 121 last year and 93 this year. I only deal with parts so I don't know about the warranty issues. The ones we got last year are out of warranty now, at least everything except the engine, so I'm sure I'll be hearing about more problems shortly.

Problems I know of are:

*-Windows. Especially the kickout window latches. We have finally gone away from the rivets to using screws and grip-serts. Had to get that approved by TDOT.
*-The toggle switch on the end of the dash for the door. The wires pull out of them. They are still warrantying them.
*-The vandal lock pins. It just seems to be a poor design. Just enough slop for someone to get the door open just a bit, then jerk on it enough to get it open bends the pin.
*-Child Monitor push buttons are starting to fall apart. Our rep is taking care of them.
*-The bowls on the air regulator/dump valve for the door are cracking and starting to leak. The only fix from IC is to replace the assembly($350), no parts. I have found some nylon bowls for $13.00 each but they have to come from Japan. Our IC rep is trying to get Bendix to do something about it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  08:37:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$350 for that regulator?? You are getting screwed. I broke one last week (my fault) and got it from TAC for under $60. http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1102 5th item down...are we talking the same part? Specialty makes them.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  09:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

The ones we got last year are out of warranty now, at least everything except the engine, so I'm sure I'll be hearing about more problems shortly.

Our Blue Birds have a 5 year warranty. I'd check into that if I were the guy in charge. Just my two cents.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On what exactly? 12 months/12,000 miles for most stuff on my last birds. https://www.blue-bird.com/Uploads/Public/Documents/standard-limited-warranty.pdf

Does your dealer do one of the optional warranty packages as part of the sale maybe?

On a NOT AT ALL related note...one just got it's 3rd coolant tank in 3 years. We've had to pay for it each time and sadly no metal replacement available.

Windows and seat foam are my #1 and #2 gripes on the new IC buses.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  1:23:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my 2017 that was delivered last week had the check engine light on at delivery- according to the delivery driver. I started it and drove it in the lot, and found no light on.
??

I haven't dove into it beyond that, but I have another one showing up on Monday. I hope these aren't Lemons....
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  1:31:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, yours will be fine.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  2:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:) :)

Mine aren't busses though, and it looks like the majority of these issues are body builder issues.

I have my own headache with our body builders, but they should be the same old headaches, lol

Edited by - eddo on 10/06/2016 2:00:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  2:01:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

On what exactly? 12 months/12,000 miles for most stuff on my last birds. https://www.blue-bird.com/Uploads/Public/Documents/standard-limited-warranty.pdf

Does your dealer do one of the optional warranty packages as part of the sale maybe?

We spec a 5 year warranty. Pays off in my opinion!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  2:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just keep talking sweet to them and take them somewhere special once in a while. :D

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2016 :  4:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's a 5 year comprehensive cost? I'll be buying 2 more around January and it's certainly food for thought.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  04:20:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

$350 for that regulator?? You are getting screwed. I broke one last week (my fault) and got it from TAC for under $60. http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=1102 5th item down...are we talking the same part? Specialty makes them.

Yes, that's the regulator. Made by SMC Pneumatics. From IC, the only way to get it is part #2512465C91 which comes as an assembly with the dump valve, $358. Yes, we got screwed. We went with the OE parts hoping that IC or Bendix would step up and warranty them for us. My rep is still working on that.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  04:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

We spec a 5 year warranty. Pays off in my opinion!

Our Fleet Manager is speccing 5 year "Bumper-to-Bumper" now, also.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  06:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Bigpapa: I totally forgot about the door lock pins. That has been a battle since day one for us. Our dealer has sent down a tech to make adjustments on our doors. Seems like if you "fix" it to where the door locks easier, it messes up how the door opens and closes. It's a losing battle.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  08:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronwilmoth80911

@Bigpapa: I totally forgot about the door lock pins. That has been a battle since day one for us. Our dealer has sent down a tech to make adjustments on our doors. Seems like if you "fix" it to where the door locks easier, it messes up how the door opens and closes. It's a losing battle.

I got the first 10-15 pins from IC, #4041532C2. The next round we ordered would go in the hole @ 1" but wouldn't go any further, too big around. They ordered more and they were the same. My rep finally came in with a paper bag full of them from some hardware store or something that are covered with rust. He said to use them......
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  08:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What's a 5 year comprehensive cost? I'll be buying 2 more around January and it's certainly food for thought.

I've never had it broken out. So, I don't know. I still think it might be included with a Blue Bird. I'll check when I see my salesman next. Shouldn't be too long, we have a bid coming up pretty soon.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  09:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Bigpapa: That's hilarious because that's how ours showed up too!! Hahahhahahahaha!!!
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  09:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Curious as to whether those seeing engine lights are having their first experience with SCR on IC products? Or do you have other products with SCR?
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  10:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have previous ICs with Cummins in them from a year prior. We have never had these kinds of issues with any of our other Cummins powered buses. We have been told that ours is an altitude issue, we are at about 6,000 feet. Whether that is true or not, I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  11:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's an altitude thing. I just talked to my IC salesman and he says they are having some issues with the light. It doesn't seem like it's a big deal to fix though. Says his guys will come right out and get it fixed. You guys all know it'll happen to a Thomas or Blue Bird next. It's just the way of the world of complex machines in this day and age.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  12:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have an OnCommand login, the TSB right on the home page. You can also run your VIN and see if you are flagged for the remedy.

Build dates 1/4/16-9/7/16 are the affected units. It's weird for me to see a reflash done through both the actual sensor harness and the 9-pin, but there it is!

This is the 3364-11 code I am speaking of.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  12:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ours have been up to the dealership multiple times. Turbos replaced, EGRs, Injectors, DPFs, DOCs, software updates and so on. We just got one back that spent 6-7 weeks at the dealership. After a couple days of messing with it, Cummins gave them the stop sign and they jumped in on the diagnosis themselves. This was not the first bus, nor was it the first time for this bus. Our issue is code 3375. We aren't the only district in our area with these problems either.

Edited by - aaronwilmoth80911 on 10/07/2016 12:36:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crap like that is why I'm glad Detroit is returning, gas is returning, propane is gaining. Cummins has gotten an attitude in recent years. Competition is a good remedy for that.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  2:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronwilmoth80911

Ours have been up to the dealership multiple times. Turbos replaced, EGRs, Injectors, DPFs, DOCs, software updates and so on. We just got one back that spent 6-7 weeks at the dealership. After a couple days of messing with it, Cummins gave them the stop sign and they jumped in on the diagnosis themselves. This was not the first bus, nor was it the first time for this bus. Our issue is code 3375. We aren't the only district in our area with these problems either.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/715866/300m-deal-to-support-international-ic-bus-dealer-inventory
maybe thats why they need more $$$

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2016 :  2:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is our first year with Cummins in IC We have 14 other 2012-15 C2s.I will look into the reflash. Thank you every one.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2016 :  12:25:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Crap like that is why I'm glad Detroit is returning, gas is returning, propane is gaining. Cummins has gotten an attitude in recent years. Competition is a good remedy for that.

Competition is ALWAYS a good thing!This is one of the reasons I rail against government hands in any of this. I think it'll work itself out with competition.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000