Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 06 Vision Stalling
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  1:00:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have an 06 vision with a C7 that has developed a random stalling issue. You will be driving along and it will just die, dash and everything is dead except for the park brake light will blink. If you just coast to a stop and wait about 20 seconds everything will come back on just like you turned the key on and you can start it and go. It might do it 3 times in one day and then it might not do it for a month. Never sets any codes. Its had the multiplex replaced since this started and it didn't change anything. We've checked all the connections and cant find anything wrong. I wish it would just die and not restart so we could find something! Any ideas before I cut it up for scrap? Thanks!

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2016 :  1:55:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Search for this on here....seems like we had this exact issue on here about a year ago! I'll look in the morning and see if I can find the thread if nobody beats me to it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  04:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BINGO! http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38048

The original poster was just on here last month, so hopefully he sees this and tells us what the outcome was.
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  05:21:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's funny, the original poster was me! Goes to show how long I have been fighting this dumb thing. The sad thing is I didn't remember that I had posted that last year. I'm working on going through every electrical connection I can find but haven't found anything yet. I've replaced the little ice cube relay that is marked ignition in the upper right corner by the multiplex but is there any other ignition relay besides that one?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  06:02:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh good lord, I didn't even pay attention to that little detail!

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  06:09:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you looking at grounds? That seems to be a reoccurring theme with these more complex systems we are dealing with these days.

That comment makes me reflect on the past 23 years I've been doing this! The fellow I replaced would be absolutely lost! He was here for about 10 years and came from a tire shop where all he did was change oil and tires, no schooling or experience with repairs of any sort. lol What a world we live in now. I can now type better than my teacher wife (not by much mind you, lol) and know more about computers than most the teachers at this school. Wow! I would have never thought it, that wasn't me in high school. OK, Sorry for the side bar. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2016 :  07:03:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomasbus24,
Can you check a wire that comes out of the MUX unit? It's number in the book is B2-111B (orange).
It controls the B+ to the 12V ECM ignition relay that sends power to the 12v ECM ignition bus bar that has the fuses # F19, F20, F21, and CB22 on it. Just a thought as the B2-111B may be loose, or getting corroded, also check the Relay Ground (white) wire to the PDU ground stud, there seems to be a connection between the relay and ground stud that may be wonky.
Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think I may have stumbled on to something. I was looking at old service bulletins and recalls and found one for inadvertent engine shutdown on 05 and 06 Visions delivered through March 1, 2005. Ours was built a couple of months after this but I decided to check it out anyways. According to the recall, there is a small power strip in the side electrical panel that is fed by the multiplex and on the affected buses the 8 ways or some other accessories on some were wired to this strip instead of one of the main accessory relays. It said occasionally an overload or short in the 8 ways would cause the circuit protection in the multiplex to shut the multiplex down and cause the engine to stall. I checked ours and the 8 ways were wired correctly but whoever put the camera in this bus hooked the power wire to this strip. I moved that wire to a different source and see if that makes any difference. I'm going to put it back on a route tomorrow and hope for the best. If something this simple fixes it I'm going to be mad and super happy at the same time!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000