School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Legalization of marijuana use - Hiring challenge?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  10:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has your state legalized medical and/or recreational use of marijuana? If so, has it been an additional hurdle for recruiting or retaining school bus drivers? Or, if your state is voting on whether to legalize marijuana use in November, do you see this as an additional challenge to recruitment and retention?

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2016 :  12:00:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live in NY, and I have cerebal palsy which causes me quite a bit of body pain. I also hold a CDL. I enjoy driving a bus enough that I am willing to deal with the pain in order to retain my license and my driving position. But, I do not transport children; therefore I do not have to deal with a lot of the issues that they do, so I don't know if I had to deal with the student issues if i would stay... however I have not heard of a lot of retention issues in our state as of yet, and NY has legalized medical marijuana usage.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  12:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio hasn't yet legalized...but someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but teh federal DOT drug testing regs are not supposed to change, so it's neither here nor there what a state says. If you choose to smoke, you aren't going to drive.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2016 :  2:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you are correct Thomasbus. I remember that being the case this past spring when it was up for a vote.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2016 :  10:00:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine marijuana would be just like alcohol...sure it's legal, but you can't consume it and then drive.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000