Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 OBD II scan tool
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  12:35:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have several cars,pickups & suburbans to take care and I was thinking of getting a scan tool. I probably wouldn't use it that much but it would come in handy once in while. Looking for advice/experiences from somebody who uses one. We don't really want to spend a lot on one.
Who has one of the Blue Tooth wireless scan tools?
Thanks,
ED

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2016 :  8:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use a U-Scan Bluetooth code reader for the cars I work on at home. It pairs with my smartphone and I like it a lot for the money. It has data pin outs that you can look at, but it's not a two-way system. I bought it at Advance Auto for less than $100. I can clear codes too. It has optional packages that you can buy (ABS, Powertrain, etc..) I bought a package and it's good for life, as long as you buy the one for every car. That was only like $30.
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2016 :  03:12:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
auto enginuity is a great pc based scan tool cost around 400 for each program i.e gm ,ford,crysler and additional programs are about the same
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2016 :  05:22:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by n2682

auto enginuity is a great pc based scan tool cost around 400 for each program i.e gm ,ford,crysler and additional programs are about the same

Contacted these guys and they said they couldn't help me. I too am looking for a good system. There was an email, just recently, from our state transportation organization asking about scan tools used. I'll post the results of the question when I get them. As I've said on here before, my Snap-On Nexiq has been a big disappointment. Part of my thing with buying Snap-On was that in my mind they had to have it covered if they said they did. Really makes me change my mind about the whole company. I don't buy hand tools from them because they won't come around. The reason they don't come around is because I don't owe them money, I pay cash. I guess I'll stop buying tools like this from them too. Argh!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  03:52:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
really? they said they cant help you with automotive scan tools. i use one all the time and it does almost all but pcm reprogram compared to ford ids.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  05:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

really? they said they cant help you with automotive scan tools. i use one all the time and it does almost all but pcm reprogram compared to ford ids.

They said if it's over the size of a Ford F450 that they couldn't help. I told him a type C is the size of a F700. That's all I know. I'd really like to find someone supporting the V-10 and the other propanes.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  05:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah well that is the issue then. They do not do medium duty truck stuff or well what is considered medium duty.With the latest update to the snap-on pro link i can watch data on our expeditions and f-250's with gas engines. I see you said you had the snap on scan tool maybe that is an option
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  08:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah well that is the issue then. They do not do medium duty truck stuff or well what is considered medium duty.With the latest update to the snap-on pro link i can watch data on our expeditions and f-250's with gas engines. I see you said you had the snap on scan tool maybe that is an option

Yeah, I'm going to need to get with someone at Snap-On that wants to help me. I have been told they don't have anything to go with the V-10 or any other propane. I can read the engine codes through the OBDII connector, did one this morning. But I have limited capabilities. I can see the codes, definitions and clear them so I'm moderately satisfied with that. I would like to be rest assured that the information I'm getting is correct. I read the codes on a bus that ended up having a back connection going to the low coolant sensor that was actually affecting the fuel pump (go figure on that one) but the scan tool said it was a crank sensor that was the problem. So you can probably understand my apprehension.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  04:06:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take a look at the fcan F3N truck pro scan tool school bus special edition. I have one sitting here. It may work on those propane's since it is specially designed and set up for school buses. I do not have any propane units so i personally don't know if it will.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  05:25:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is what you're talking about, correct? http://www.tpxpowersource.com/fcar-truck-diagnostic-tools-c-125/fcar-f3sn-school-bus-diagnostic-tool-p-852.html

Doesn't say anything about propane. I guess I'll stick with what I have right now. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I posted awhile back about this diagnostic tool and only had one response that someone had one. It looks like it it not widely used.
My supervisor bought a cheap OBD II scanner the other day so I will see how it works.
Thanks for the input.
ED
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2016 :  07:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, keep us posted.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  03:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eshover

I posted awhile back about this diagnostic tool and only had one response that someone had one. It looks like it it not widely used.
My supervisor bought a cheap OBD II scanner the other day so I will see how it works.
Thanks for the input.
ED

I hope you find something that will work.Just trying to give you ideas
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2016 :  07:18:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
n2682, have you used the fcan F3N scan tool very much? If so how do you think it has helped you?
ED
Go to Top of Page

n2682

41 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  03:22:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit n2682's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No i do not use it. collects dust because i have two other scan tools that are alot better. I just know it is geared directly at buses and wasn't sure if it would do propanes for you guys or not
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2016 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK Thanks,that's what I needed to know. I'm not going to spend over $1000 for a tool I wouldn't use.
ED
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000