Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 heater core leaking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2016 :  2:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2011 D3RE all American Bluebird with cummins ISC 8.3 300HP 60,000 miles this is the forth time in three years that the heater core as gone out(blown out from to much pressure leaking coolant). what should I do so that I am not replacing the heater core next year??? Looking back at old maintenance records they have replaced all heater hoses and thermostat. Thanks in advance for any thoughts you can give me.

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  04:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you replaced the cap?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  05:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you checked the radiator cap? Also, I wonder if the acidity of the coolant is off. Just some thoughts.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  06:05:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will check the cap and acidity, good thoughts, thank you.
I talked to one bus co. they said to remove T K bypass. what is this???
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  09:13:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's some interesting reading for you. https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/2011/10/24/repeat-heater-core-failures-and-electrolysis/

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2016 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, @bwest very interesting, I will look into this. A little more info for everybody : At 22625 miles the heater core was replaced the first time. 2nd time at 30384 miles, 3rd time at 51403 miles and now at 60485 miles.I still would like to know what the TK bypass is.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  04:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked a service guy at my dealer, he has no clue what a TK bypass is. Is that like a muffler bearing?
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  06:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think of Thermo-King when I see TK ... not sure what above is related to...?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  07:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooohhhh...now that's a thought. Out of my league though.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2016 :  08:03:25 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Out of mine to ... I have 20 buses in my fleet that have TK air on them...never heard of a bypass for them... Maybe Trans Kooler..:-)
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2016 :  2:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the humor. The TK bypass utilizes a restricting plug in the forward water jacket,forcing a higher volume of coolant through the transmission cooler (also through the heater circuits and radiator) and "bypassing" the thermostat. the purpose of this bypass is to prevent excess heat buildup in transmissions equipped with retarders. the adverse side effects of this bypass kit are:higher heater circuit pressures, longer warm-up periods, inability to reach operating temperatures in cold climates,poor heater performance in cold climates.
So not like a muffler bearing.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  07:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so what does the "TK" stand for. i remember the m11's in gillig transit buses had those. and when you saw one come in with weird cooling system related issues and a new water pump, you could be about 99% sure someone forgot to (or didnt bother) to stuff that fat washer into the new hose.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2016 :  07:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like slippert said, transmission kooler LOL

That would explain why my guys here never heard of it...no need for a transmission retarder in our location.
Go to Top of Page

jsome

15 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2016 :  1:03:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit jsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For anybody else that has this problem BB will pay for parts and labor for TK bypass if done at authorized cummins repair facility and eng. and trans will still be under warr.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000