New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  05:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone ever work on these? I'm just curious about how much time it would take to change the seat cover.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/713845/north-carolina-to-roll-out-lap-shoulder-belt-project?utm_campaign=Newsline-Thursday-New-20160616&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  05:37:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the Syntech seats:

http://www.syntecseating.com/products/s3c-lapshoulder-seat.aspx

http://www.syntecseating.com/service-videos.aspx Shows how to...doesn't look TOO horrible but of course chewing gum had not yet been introduced into the seating system of that new bus they were working on! Not to mention the amazing amount of space between the seats, wink wink.

For the IMMI seats....my new CE lift bus has some with the built in child seats (no 3 point belts) but the same basic setup. If I'm unlucky enough to have one of those damaged I'll let you know how many curse words fly on repair day.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  07:06:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you do end up having to replace foams and covers, get em through your dealer. i tried getting them cheaper from TRP through my kenworth dealer and they took 4 months, and were the wrong parts. the foams looked like 1/2" styrofoam glued together.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I haven't heard anything about mandating them here in Illinois but you know how the "powers that be" like to rearrange deck chairs on a ship that's going down. lol At this point in Illinois we need to be weathering the storm of a budget problem but we keep spending money on just whatever crosses our mind at the capital. So, if I see this in the near future I wouldn't be surprised.

But I digress. I am always interested in getting ahead of the curve so I know what's going on when things head that direction. I wonder if some brands are easier to change covers/ foams than others.
Thanks for the input so far.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

if you do end up having to replace foams and covers, get em through your dealer. i tried getting them cheaper from TRP through my kenworth dealer and they took 4 months, and were the wrong parts. the foams looked like 1/2" styrofoam glued together.

Are you talking the IMMI BTI seats or the Syntec seats?
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  08:48:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMMI. the aftermarket TRP foams were total crap. my latest thomas buses were built before the switch to syntec.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  10:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good info!
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  1:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have some IMMI seats in special needs buses but we have yet to repair any.

I'm thinking if these get widespread use in regular route buses the repair costs are going to be through the roof.

Waiting for them does take forever...worse than B*** seat products.
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2016 :  4:14:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you heard the term, "MINNESOTA NICE"? I operated my 20 school bus fleet for 36 years and never bought a single seat cover or foam liner. Back in 1967 Bluebird built a new school bus for me and substituted HERCULITE Vandal Resistant Upholstery Fabrics in place of the regular heavy oz. seat cover material. I remember it as a nylon parachute type of material that could be punched full of holes with a pencil but you could not tear the fabric. The material was slippery and the foam envelope seat padding under the cover let go on the glue seams of the foam. Bluebird had me return the bus to the Mt. Pleasant, Iowa assembly plant and replaced every seat with a new complete passenger seat assembly covered with the good old heavy oz. fabric material. They also gave me a pallet of foam seat padding and a pile of seat cover material to show appreciation for me taking two days to return the bus to the assembly plant and as Paul Harvey used to say, that is the rest of the story and why I never bought seat foam & covers.

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2016 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And 49 years later they still have the same problem with foam.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2016 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have all Bluebirds with C.E. White seats and they are a pain in the neck. The seat belts have to be removed and routed through the foam and the cover. I would say it will take at least an hour to change one going pretty fast. They are also a pain as they staple from the bottom. I usually end up just pulling the seat frame completely out and turning it upside-down.
The Thomas dealer just brought a new bus by with the Syntec seats and they look much easier. They just unzip from the back and you don't have to deal with the seatbelts because the retractors are on the seat back.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  10:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They changed the whole back out on this video but not a cover. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwh1d6RDQU

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  10:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a video showing manufacturing. There's a short blip of them installing the foams at 1:45. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veVuVyk7JDw

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2016 :  10:49:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, found it! Didn't watch the whole video but it's about 10 minutes long and that's with the thing on a stand. OH MY! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDHEK2VYGYw

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2016 :  11:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whoa, whoa whoa... just saw in the opening of that video Bryan posted that Syntec is a Takata company?! I hope they do a better job with bus seats than air bags. :P LOL Sorry, couldn't resist!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000